naval architecture and boat design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sele, Jul 8, 2011.

1. sele

sele High School Student

I'm a student and I want to design motoryachts , sailboats and maybe rigid inflatable boats . There are many universities but I can't understand which
    section is right for me.I want to use my creativity and my mechanical skills at the same time but for this I have to know the difference between the ocean engineering , the naval architecture , nautical engineering and Naval Construction and Engineering . Can somebody write the differences ?

2. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

In simple terms "naval architecture" tends to be for ship design, but it sounds like you want a "yacht design" course which would deal (generally) for boats under 30m

Also a naval architect may not design any vessel but instead be an expert in ship structures or stability

I studied yacht design at Southampton UK the only full time course available at the time. So I suggest you start your search there

The most popular correspondence school is Westlawn in the USA.

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

1 person likes this.
  3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Ocean Engineering generally applies to the interface between man-made structures/equipment and the ocean. Piers, platforms, breakwaters, moorings, and now to a greater extent ROV's and sensors are part of OE.

Naval Architecture is the theoritical and practical study of the interaction between a vessel and the wind and seas to meet a specific mission. Boats, ships, submarines, ROVs, and thier associated arrangements, cargo handling, maneuvering, and propulsion devices are the field of the Naval Architect.

Marine Engineering and Naval Engineering generaly refers to the design, construction, care, and feeding of the propulsion and auxillary systems of ships and vessels. Steam boilers, turbines, diesels, generators, pumps, and winches fall into this catagory. Note that many degrees are in "Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering" because of how these two are linked.

Naval Construction refers to the actual process of building large ships. Welding, rigging, docking, planning & estimating, scheduling, etc fall into this field.

4. anhdtht

anhdtht Junior Member

in my opinion, I think you should start your search about naval architecture and marine engineering
    I like this topic because It's useful !

5. BayouDude

BayouDude Junior Member

I graduated from the University of New Orleans with a BS in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering. I received a good foundation in engineering principles and a basic understanding of the design spiral. We barely even touched on yachts and definitely didn't get to design any. You will get more theory than practical knowledge from a university but if you plan on working in the design field i would definitely suggest a degree from an accredited program. I think you will find that many pleasure boat designers especially in the trailerable sector don't have degrees and design mainly for the aesthetic qualities and arrive at their hull forms through trial and error. In my experience you will gain your knowledge of design on the job the degree is just a piece of paper to get your foot in the door at a design firm.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.