Naval architects and designers are a waste of money!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dreamer, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

Ah yes -- the elusive cached thread. I don't dis-believe you, but your links must be just one step ahead of the hyperlink gods.

I find the problem amusing -- so much so that I clicked through three pages of non-content -- and then modified my search ;)

This is an issue that has 100% mind-share in my community, and I'd be interested in more information ...

2. alidesigner

alidesigner Senior Member

Looks like the first page is gone. But all is not lost. Type in the search phrase, then on the first listing click the link that says more results from forum.wooden.com. This brings up all the cached pages. 5, 12 & 17 have some pics. Better be quick to beat the hyperlink gods.

3. freeboatrsrce

freeboatrsrce Junior Member

Looks kind of like a breadbox. Lots of windage for sure. Maybe a boat where senior citizens purchase a condo, and grow a garden. Lots of room for a garden on top. I remember a story about this type of venture a few years ago.

4. Lurvio

Lurvio Mad scientist

I believe there is no hurry in finding the Google-cached pages as I don't think Google is inclined to remove them in a hurry. Just takes a bit of thought to enter the right search phrase. :)

L

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I have tried, but even the "cache" button takes me to the deleted forum page. How did you manage to see the cache of the old thread?

6. SheetWise

That's what I'd like to know.

I'd also like to know why -- after 35 years of programming everything on earth -- I have to ask my daughter how my cell phone works.

7. daiquiri

:D :D
    Do like I did. Switch to iPhone. ;)

8. SheetWise

I switched to Android because of the open source language -- I can program my phone, I just don't understand many of the interfaces others have programmed. I'm just getting old. I also don't understand Office '07. Change is getting harder. Don't mean to hijack this thread -- but the thread mentioned in the OP sounds interesting. I haven't been able to access it.

9. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

In Quebec, a few years ago, a similar disaster unfolded online. Not only the people building this thing had no clue about boat building and sailing but they also did it with no initial fund. They sucked some other people and sponsors in with the promise of sailing the world and some sort of reality tv show...or something like that...was horrible to witness.
    Just a few pics say it all, but a few extra phrases will explain the extent of the disaster (realize that the plan was to sail around the world).

-The leader of this circus had never heard of Archimedes before a thread on a Quebec forum started critiquing the project.

-Built of particle board

-All house construction materials, including doors and windows

-Re-enforced the structure between the two floats with steel I beams when someone on forum pointed out that it may need more than being glued together.

-Was launched twice, can't remember the issue on first launch...I think it didn't float.

-Powered by two outboard.

-When the ended up launching it was November, they still decided to take off. They suffered from the cold on there first 24 hours. Had engine failure. The whole thing ended with the boat chaffing on rocks and sinking on the first leg of its maiden voyage.

This was sad. Non of the people involved could afford this, a couple were kids and others sucked in by some talented dream preaching guy.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  10. Lurvio

Lurvio Mad scientist

A quick quide to cached websites.

1. Go to google.com

2. Click 'Advanced search'

3. On second box from top (exact word or phrase) type the thread name, in this case 'Naval architects and designers are a waste of money' (without the '-marks)

4. On third line row there's three boxes, in one of them type 'page' and a number (1-37). The thread pages have to be searched individually to find everything.

5. On to the last box (Search within a site or domain) type 'forum.woodenboat.com'

Hitting enter you should get a list of results mainly for one page of the thread. On lower right corner of the result there's a little link 'Cached' that takes you to a cached page which does work. (just tested it myself)

Hope this helps someone. :)

Lurvio

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  11. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I have to say, I have the same problem and just a few years less programming experience! I can't even use the "dial" or "talk" function well! :D

I also have an Android phone (all people who understand software know this will crush the iPhone because of the flexibility) and love it, except I'm always baffled by phone developers' UI's as well.

I am a big Mac proponent and was on OSX in 2000. Made the switch back then because it did everything I needed, and using emacs or vi on my home computer was pretty kitch. However, it turned out "Evil Bill Gates" is actually a great humanitarian while "Underdog Steve Jobs" is really evil guy who has to control everything and profit at all costs while not helping humanity out one bit. Go figure! :confused:

12. SheetWise

That's why I don't understand the new Office. I understand adding features, but at some point they have to be "opt-in" and not "opt-out." Software is like a Swiss army knife -- when all the blades are open it's useless. Microsoft over the years has decided to ship their software with all blades open, and left it to the user to drill in ten or more menus deep to learn how to close some of them ;)

Don't be confused -- Bill is a capitalist. Capitalism is a good thing that benefits everyone involved. Maybe someday we'll actually practice it in this country again.

13. daiquiri

Ok, it works. :)

These are the most thrilling moments (the ones I could find):
    Page 1

Page 2

Page 5

Page 8

Page 15

Page 17 ( containing a pretty logical comment by dskira)

Page 27

Then, a point arrived where the continuous stimulation of forum members' fancy has started producing results:
    Page 25

And, finally (happy ending?):
    Page 36

I believe that the kast page has proved beyond any doubt the statement in the title. It floats, therefore NA's are absolutely unnecessary for a project like this one.

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  14. Lurvio

Lurvio Mad scientist

Local CG-officers might have a field day with the boat yet. Do you guys think the CG test papers would be published in public domain? Around here there's quite a lot of info on the net, for example I believe all court files are published online (unless specifically ordered secret).

L

15. SheetWise

Thanks daiquiri -- that was a good read. Probably too early to tell if it has a happy ending ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.