I Would like to build a rib"looking for mold for it "

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by johndasilva, May 30, 2006.

1. johndasilva

johndasilva New Member

hello

I would like to build a rib size ,5.50=6.50.
    Were could i buy a mold "rib":confused:
    Looking forward to hear from any one !

Best regards

john

2. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Lots of RIB's have been built in aluminium, which means that the panels are 'developable' from sheets of material. It therefore wouldn't be hard to build a disposable female mold from ply and mdf and laminate you hull in that.

Failing that, a look around any of the marine industrial estates on the Solent / South coast might turn up what you are looking for, lurking in the corner plot of some unit. RIB builders come and go on a regualar basis.

3. E Hanson

E Hanson Junior Member

In the early days of RHIB design it was not unheard of to use the hull of sport boat of some type, cut off the topsides, add a cradle for the air collar, and call it a RHIB. If you got thios route, remember that the topsides added hull stiffness, you may need to beef up the hull structure.

I have even seen some brave souls build their hull "stitch and glue" style with plywood.

As Crag posted, aluminium is a great choice for a RHIB's hull. Your might find it easier to go straight to an aluminium hull. But, smaller aluminium RHIBs (under 6m) tend to be heavy for their size.

Another source may be a military or coast guard auction. Now and then they will liquidate the older boats from the fleet and you can pick up a hull for very little money. Some of the older military RHIBs are built like a floating tank. A little gelcoat repair, and you will have a nearly new hull. The downside to a floating tank is weight. These boats are heavy.

What do you plan to do about the collar? Are you going to build this as well, or buy it from a manufacturer?

Good luck with your project. I'd like to hear how it goes.

Eric.

4. antonfourie

antonfourie Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.