My boat any comments?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tamkvaitis, Nov 28, 2005.

1. tamkvaitis

tamkvaitis sailor/amateur designer

my new boat..Any coments?

Attached Files:

2. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

That has to be the nicest solar powered icebreaking minelayer that I've ever seen! :D

3. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

What kind of bottom does it have? Flat? 'V'? Round?

Is it a sailboat?

Bob

4. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Must be ultra light weight to get away with a transom cutout that deep?

Kelly Cook

5. tamkvaitis

This is (or I ought to say should to be), an 8 metre sailing boat. I think it can be built from plywood, it's botom is flat, i decided to design it in this way because it is very simple to build and maintain.

6. tamkvaitis

One more image...I intrested what do you think about this kind of concept...

7. tamkvaitis

Attached Files:

8. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

The performance will increase hugely if you go for a "Normal" hull-shape. Boats much bigger than 4m rarley ever sail perfectly upright, so the flat bottom is not doing you any favours in normal sailing conditions of 10 to 15 degrees heel. I suspect, also, that the hard "chines" will give considerable difficulty in handling at low speed, and will probably not have nice characteristics at high speeds.

So my advice would be to use a "normal" hull. Don't do anything to the deck-line or the bow. If you're worried about building it, you can always go to thinner sheets of plywood.

General Idea looks nice,

Tim B.

9. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Vilius, I agree with Tim B.
    You can use simple arcs for the stations in the bottom and keep the rest of the design. That will also be easy to build. maybe you can use two layers of 4mm plywood in the bottom.

10. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Knock the mast of, stick a handle on the sharp bit and you'd have a lovely coal shovel!:D :idea:

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Here I am defending a flat bottomed boat again. She's not much like a dory, but looks to be capable of good speed if kept on her feet. Keeping a 26' boat upright will require a high ballast to displacement ratio, crew weight or both. She could be built in plywood easily enough, but it may be difficult keeping it light enough without very thin planking and skinny scantlings. Exotic fabrics may be able to come to the rescue, but at a cost and increased difficulty in application.

The thoughts voiced about round bilge hull forms are well founded, but there are other options. You could build a multi chine or better a radius chine hull and keep the ease of flat panel construction with just a little extra work. I guess it's up to you to decide what you want in this boat. Clearly, the hull shape you have suggests a desire for high performance. Will you be using a crew to hold her down? Boat design is really about answering difficult questions in the requirements you desire, then molding a boat around these concepts as best you can.

We just don't know enough about what you want yet.

12. tamkvaitis

I wanted to create cheap sailboat which was fun to sail. I decided that flat bottomed boats is the simpliest way of building it. More work means more time and as everybody knows, time is money ;). If you watched the dwg file you can see that it is quite narrow, I thought that it would increase winward performance, and flat back end of the boat should, increase its downwind performance (corect me if I am wrong, I am just an amateur). Crew of three or four should be perfect for boat like this. I tghout about making the deck wider In the back (something similar like 505 dingy). so that the crew weight would be further away.

13. netjaws

netjaws Junior Member

Heel

If you design it right, your wetted hull can be a perfect V-shape when the boat is at a specified angle of heel. Call this the 'optimum heel angle' and watch it blow every other boat out of the water!

Joshua N Straume

14. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I think you have Pirated my design which is complete and has had several crew members check it out. Mine is 8' long X 3.5' wide and has a trolling motor in a enclosed motorwell. The 2nd and 3rd graders do not like Pirates. :)

15. netjaws

netjaws Junior Member

Color

P.S. I think you should also paint it black, that would look really cool.

Joshua N Straume

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.