Naval Architect - Designer - Engineer ... Who Does What

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jorgepease, May 2, 2018.

  1. jorgepease
    Joined: Feb 2012
    Posts: 1,620
    Likes: 51, Points: 48, Legacy Rep: 75
    Location: Florida

    jorgepease Senior Member

    I have received a couple of quotes from Engineers. They quote a fixed price for engineering a component and then a per hour price for any redesign or development work ... for example if the mast is not located in proper location and needs to be moved forward or aft they redesign and charge you per hour. The same could be for every component on the boat which means end price could be much higher than the fixed price quote.

    So who does one hire to make sure everything is as proper as it can be. Is it the Engineers, the NA's a Designer ... Is it usually a team effort, how does it normally work? I can't afford to build a boat that doesn't work right.
  2. gonzo
    Joined: Aug 2002
    Posts: 16,836
    Likes: 1,734, Points: 123, Legacy Rep: 2031
    Location: Milwaukee, WI

    gonzo Senior Member

    It depends on how you negotiate the contract. You can get an engineer or naval architect to subcontract any work he/she may need. In the end, you only deal with one person as responsible for the project.
  3. Ad Hoc
    Joined: Oct 2008
    Posts: 7,808
    Likes: 1,704, Points: 113, Legacy Rep: 2488
    Location: Japan

    Ad Hoc Naval Architect

    The naval architect is responsible for the whole boat. Thus you get him/her to design what you want.
    The engineers, are doing all the bits beneath this. Thus the naval arch needs to make sure he/she gives you what you want, before you go into detailing.
    Since bringing in the 'engineers' who can do this detailing work, if the naval arch doesn't or can't, will charge for these said changes.
    It is usual to have once a dwg is issued to you, the client, you review it and make any changes if required before it is formally approved to engineers/yard/builders etc. After that, any changes after the dwg is formally issued will be charged by the naval arch or engineers doing the subcontracting.
  4. jehardiman
    Joined: Aug 2004
    Posts: 3,795
    Likes: 1,183, Points: 113, Legacy Rep: 2040
    Location: Port Orchard, Washington, USA

    jehardiman Senior Member

    And then there is the Naval Architect/Marine Engineer who can do it all. Most have a Professional Engineering certification and will ensure you get what you needed...not what you asked for.

  5. jorgepease
    Joined: Feb 2012
    Posts: 1,620
    Likes: 51, Points: 48, Legacy Rep: 75
    Location: Florida

    jorgepease Senior Member

    Ok so either I get them to commit to doing that side of it first or I get an NA

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.