boom vang

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Pieetry, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Pieetry

Pieetry Junior Member

Im looking for a new vang system to free up sum deckspace on my dingy. Ive tried looking into the vang systems of 29ers, but i cant find any good information on the internet and i dont know any ones regulary sailed near by.... so anyways i came up with this idea, please excuse the roughness of it.

Basicly what im trying to show there is the vang is made of two bars, one to the mast, and one to the boom, and a pully system which tryes to pull them straight and ther by pushing the boom down. the sail is cut into two parts and the system fits inside it. or if i cant get a new sail, put one of thes on each side.

the boat is an NS14 here in the states

thanks for any advice/info u may have

Attached Files:

2. Guest

Guest Guest

NS14 Boom Vang

The NS14 looks to be quite a nice dinghy. There is not much on the class website about gear improvements (Do a Yahoo search for NS14). I personally sail a LARK, which is roughly the same size, but slightly taller and a little heavier. I'm currently using a 12 purchase Vang, with a cascade pulley to increase that to 24. 24 is certainly the upper limit. but that system does take up space. It rockets upwind with vang on though! as I suspect the NS14 would as well. Therefore, whatever system you use, bear in mind what sort of force you want to exert. As far as the rod system goes, it's an interesting idea. Don't put it inside the sail though, firstly it will make the sail hard to remove, and secondly it will shred the sail if the control line (or cleat) fails for any reason. If you go for this system, don't forget to prevent the bars going over-center, and you'll probably need some form of multi-pulley system on the control line, but this could be run vertically on the mast. I'd love to here what happens.

Good Luck,

Tim B

3. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

Hi Pieetry
    Why not just fix one end on a pivot and slide the other end with a multi-pulley system...

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

How about an upside down short sprit with snotter? Attach one end to the boom and the snotter to the mast. It would not interfere with the present arrangement.

5. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

dammit wurs ma copy of Hand, Reef and Steer....

Ok give in wot's a snotter (apart from a small child with "tramlines..")

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I hope this makes it easier to understand.

Attached Files:

7. b14maniac

b14maniac Junior Member

As an ex-NS14 sailor, mate don't try the gnav (upside-down vang) on an NS. The rotating mast alone makes it impossible, unless you are running a fixed rig (wouldn't surprise me... can't be many NS's in the US). I tried it using a complicated series of levers and cams and it broke not long after I got it to work. That snotter idea looks good though... I never thought about that.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.