Nautical Architecture Texts

Discussion in 'Education' started by LP, Dec 17, 2006.

1. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

LP,

The problem is that it is all linked. Say when a gust hits...do you heel over more or accelerate because inertia won't let you heel? And if you accelerate, does that increase the apparent wind which increases the heeling force (the infamous slow capsize)? Or, because of CLR lead and sail twist off do you round up? Because it is a free-free system with inertia, it is recursive problem, not an exact solution. And don't even start on speed in a seaway unless you really like bifrication theory and data clustering. Even if you do modeling as Tim B points, good agreement is 10-20% variance because you can't get the "perfect" water and wind that the math models require.

2. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Tim,

Do these texts have the exercises at the end of the chapters like I was asking about?

3. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

They do have a few examples, yes.

I have scribbled up a few examples of my own, they might help you get a better grip on what's going on. They do require some background knowledge, and need a few assumptions to be made.

I'll post the answers after Christmas (probably Boxing day night, GMT)

Cheers,

Tim B.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.