Narrowing the beam

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Dr. Peter, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Paul Scott

Paul Scott Senior Member

I wrestle with that some- mainly because I hate jibs. I really really don't like jibs, so part of the design challenge for this (or a minimal 27' mono, which is the other option) is to do it so I don't need a jib. Granted, getting caught aback is no picnic, but I sailed a Sol 15 a lot back in the mid 70's, and lack of a jib upwind and for tacking ceased being a problem after a month or so. I think multis have settled the matter anyway- you really don't need one if you don't want one. I think it has become more a matter of sailing style or preference.

Paul

2. dstgean

dstgean Senior Member

Neither the A class cats nor the C class cats seem to have trouble tacking and they are both Uni rigged. I think if there's adequate rocker, way on, and the boat is properly balanced there shouldn't be a problem. That said I've had to sail backwards to get through some tacks with my Wave.

Dan

3. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

From 1964 to 1968 I had the cabin version of the Piver "Nugget".
    It's floats folded up over the cabin for trailing and winter storage.
    Ungainly, but it worked.

It also had a self tacking jib. That also worked,---- Brilliantly.

I used to demonstrate how well it worked by asking visitors to hold the helm fully up (or down) and hold it there. The boat would then traverse through 360deg without hesitation. I would use this trick to demonstrate to mono unbelievers that a multihull COULD tack as well as a mono. :eek:

4. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

5. Paul Scott

Paul Scott Senior Member

Sweet. Always had a soft spot for Crowther designs. They look so right.

Paul

6. Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter Junior Member

Nudging the thread part 2

So - I was just revisiting some of my old threads and this one seemed to catch some people's attention. Has anyone managed to maximise beam while maintaining legal trailering width?
    Peter

7. basil

basil Senior Member

8. Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter Junior Member

Read the thread

This thread is about maximising the beam of open bridgedeck boats while keeping it trailerable.
    Keep up!

9. Timothy

Timothy Senior Member

An idea I am working on .Long length to displacement ratio Fast coastal cruiser for a retired couple and guests, or young family of limited means to tour the world. 45' by 27' folding to 27' by 8'6" and to 22'5" by 8'6" by 7'4" for transport. I posted a few more details and a short animation of how I conceive it might be made to work on the thread "post your design ideas" on this forum.

Attached Files:

10. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

peter, have a look at the haines hunter trailer tris, very good boat and quick . the windrush has a good name to. a ts 16 is worth a look for what you want to do to.

11. Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter Junior Member

went monomaran

In the end the end the extreme contrast between what I liked and my first mate insisted upon was too different. I bought a small trailer sailer and kept my cat for Sunday racing.
    Peter

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.