Old boat-----> new boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by woodthings, Aug 5, 2009.

1. woodthings

woodthings New Member

Hi,
    I have an old deep V fiberglass boat that someone has completely gutted. I have always wanted a bass boat. My question is can this be cut down height ways to create a shallow sleek looking bass boat. If so is there somewhere I can get new trims and acc., like the rubber bumper trim for the top edge of the boat. Is there any pointers on dimensions or structural design I need to be aware of. New at this so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Leo
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

It's not easy nor advisable to cut down that boat. Anything can be done, but it's false economy to do anything so problematic when there are probably many hulls out there to be had for a song that need no alteration.
    The joint at the sheerline strengthens the boat due to a shape that nests the hull into the liner (or at least doubles the major parts something like a shoe box). you would have to duplicate that strength, or there would be no rigid structure where you need it.
    In modifying a boat like that, that particular area is the last place I'd alter anything. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it takes skill and yeilds no increase in value, but costs a lot of time and money.

3. woodthings

woodthings New Member

Thank you Alan. I assume the hull is below the black line on my pic and the liner is above the line? I am very knowledgeable in mechanics and construction, I am a self employed contractor, been a auto and factory mech. and a all around handyman. I'm not doubting what your saying, but if I built my new deck at the height of my cut would that not add the strength back into it.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'll agree with Alan on this. Though you are likely more skilled then the average guy that wants to do something like this, it's still not a good idea. This is based on the fact you can't see the differences between a typical bass boat hull form and a cut down version of this one (the two types are grossly different).

Considering the current economic climate, there are thousands of boats available if you just show up and drag it's rotten transom out of their car port. You'd be much better advised to find a spent bass boat and do the work, to a hull form that's intended to do what bass boats do.

There is a 18' huge metal flake encrusted bass boat, a mile from here with a well spent 150 Johnson hanging on what is clearly a shot transom. A couple of hundred bucks and you can have it, spent trailer and all. Bring your own wasp spray.

In Delaware there will be hundreds of bass boats in need of a new home. I'm quite familiar with the first state, but where's Lincoln?

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Yes, and you may be capable of the job, though once cut the deck and the hull will be unsupported, and lining it all up would require some temporary molds. There would be no flange on either part to give stiffness while lining it all up. As I said, anything can be done, but this project is a lot of work for something you could more easily buy outright.

6. woodthings

woodthings New Member

Thank you again Alan. I guess you guys talked me out of it.

Par, Lincoln is about 20 mi north of Lewes, west of Rt 1. Where are you?

Thanks,
    Leo

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Well you should have said it was Slower, DE, I figured it was near Milford. So, you get your third traffic light yet?

I'm here in sunny Florida, where the average temperature is in the mid 70's and the water is always warm. It's tough life, especially in February when I have to put a sweatshirt on just to get the steaks of the BBQ.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.