Cosine Wherry, Water Sculpture on the bulb of a submarine

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by mtumut, Jul 6, 2016.

1. mtumut

mtumut Junior Member

May I request from forum members to explain me , the cosine wherry design process ?

I have WB 100 but I could not understand the invention .

I can only see the wave crash on the bulb of a submarine elegantly and everything is so beatiful and better than whatever sculptors tries to create.

I think Cosine Wherry have a shape like a submarine bulb where bulb pushes the water in to a sculpture form.

As you can see I can see something but I cant explain.

Please , may I please from you to invest 15 minutes to explain things ?

Thank you,

Umut
    Istanbul

2. mtumut

mtumut Junior Member

I thinked a little bit , there is a horizontal cosine graph at the WoodenBoat 100 and AFAIK,
    the displacement of the sections must follow that graph like a Napoleon Hat.

Is it true ? If we give the volume every section , does the boat shape comes automatically ? I think I read the Colin Archer comment on wave theory and shape comes from mid section shape , dimensions and prismatic coefficients.

When all inputs and volumes touch each other , boat comes to hand.

I want to understand what is exponent which seems to me related with cp ?

Do I understand correctly ? Can you please help ?

ps. I thinked a little bit more and remembered front middle and back sections calculated indiviually , is it true ? Which equation used for each ?

Thanks,

Umut

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

My understanding of the design, is that it is a proof of concept. The designer thought that he could use that cosine equation to design a boat. It is OK, but nothing ground-breaking.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.