Name That Foam!!!

Discussion in 'Materials' started by kudu, Jan 12, 2004.

1. kudu

kudu Senior Member

Hi...Trying to find the identifcation of the proper foam to use when shaping parts before glass layup. I've seen simliar questions asked, but have yet to see an answer. Any help would be appreciated...Thanks

2. pkoken

pkoken S/V Samadhi V

I have used insulating "Styrofoam" for temporary forms. I melt the foam out of my finished piece with acetone. This is *NOT* for a structural application!

3. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

As Phil K. implies, there is more to the question. Are you going to leave the foam in place? Is the foam a structural element, or just a locator? Is weight an issue? How big is the part?

Steve

4. kudu

kudu Senior Member

Thanks for the responses...Actually I'm interested in creating a design change for a truck body...It will not be of structural importance, just for eye appeal. My hope is to just glass over the foam after shaping it. Thanks :D

5. pkoken

pkoken S/V Samadhi V

In this case virtually any foam will work, I have used insulation foam from the local Home Depot- I glue several sheets together to get the desired thickness. if you aren't going to remove it, and it isn't structural, I am sure it will be fine-

6. kudu

kudu Senior Member

Hi again...What are you using to shape the foam?

7. pkoken

pkoken S/V Samadhi V

Coarse sandpaper and a chef's 12" knife do the basic form. I wrap things up with 120 grit to final shape. I paint my pieces with oil based enamel before applying epoxy/glass because it gives a smoother interior finish after I "melt" the foam out with Acetone.

Foam is soft, virtually anything will shape it.

8. kudu

kudu Senior Member

Thank you....Are you speaking about the blue foam that one can purchase at Home Depot in sheets approx. 24''x96", or something else?

9. pkoken

pkoken S/V Samadhi V

Mine was white, just like plain ole styrofoam- The foam was a standard insulating foam sheet that was designed to be placed in building walls, it comes in different thicknesses and is about the size of sheet of plywood.

Since the foam isn't structural I don't think it is so critical, however you should test your chosen resin/hardener or epoxy with a sample to make sure it won't react with the foam. I have never had problems with West System epoxy.

10. kudu

kudu Senior Member

Thanks pkoken for the clarification....kudu

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.