10ft cougar mini cub extension/rebuild

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by furious cub, Jan 10, 2013.

1. furious cub

furious cub Junior Member

Hi everyone ive been researching on this site for quite some time now, so thought id post my plans for my little cougar.

the boat in question 10ft cougar mini cub 25hp like one pictured
    [​IMG]

my plans are to increase the length of the sponsons out the back (1 to 1.5ft) so i can accomidate a 80hp 2 stroke merc this will include a full rebuild/strengthing of the existing hull. what i cant deside is should i step it, angle it up or have it level with the existing hull??

underside of hull attached (minus jet)

will get pics of the exact boat in question at a later date.

Attached Files:

2. Jet_Love

Jet_Love Junior Member

I want to build this same boat. If I do it would have twin Kawasaki sxr800cc engines. You can get 100hp each easy. Not sure on the room you have to work with, would like to see more pix.

Being a cat a twin setup would work better imo. Take a look at lil wake thread. He did a single engine setup but you do a twin the same just one on each side.

What I would do is find two 750 kawasaki stand up. Cut the tops off the ski's and the bottom out of each side of the boat and epoxy the ski bottoms to the boat. kinda like lil wake but use the ski hull bottom up to the motor mounts. You can set back the hull to get the increase in the length of the sponsons out the back your looking for. For strengthing of the existing hull use 2 part 2 pound closed cell foam. No need to step it
    With twin 750's it will be fast.

750's are cheep, 650 are even cheeper but dif jet pumps. 650, 750 and the 800 all mount
    the engine the same.

Hope it helps.

3. Jet_Love

Jet_Love Junior Member

From looking at the pic again. It looks like you could just cut the square step out of each bottom side and put the stand up hulls in. Kinda look's as it was ment to be.

4. furious cub

That would be insane if you managed to get it to work.
    The only problem is room. That and blow over if it works

5. furious cub

Those pics aint of my boat btw just pics i found of the hull.

6. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

I actually had this same idea for the Cougar Cub and wanted to build one for my next boat. Here is a pic I photoshopped back in August to explain my idea in my build thread for my Addictor. If you guys don't do it I'm going to! haha :D

[​IMG]

7. LilWake

LilWake Senior Member

You could also build a center pad for the pump but it would mean mounting the engine up higher because it probably wouldnt fit in that section. That would mean you would have to rig up a custom drive shaft with yolks to allow a downward angle. That might get pretty complex.

[​IMG]

That photoshop was actually done for charlie, the owners of the blue cub that Furious Cub originally posted above.

8. Jet_Love

Jet_Love Junior Member

Ment to be. I'm booked for the rest of the year but will have my eye out.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.