My thoughts on how to drive yourself crazy choosing a hull design!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Vulkyn, Jul 23, 2010.

1. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I'm a scuba diver myself, so I know how important it is to have a diving boat with medical oxygen and radio communication aboard, and with enough horses to fly you back to the port at 30+ kts in case of need. I don't get on board a diving vessel if it doesn't have these three things.

2. daiquiri

Yeah, it's an affascinating world. :)

Well, if I were you I would FIRST apply for a job in boatbuilding and be sure to have found one - THEN I'd hand my resignation. :p

3. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Ill just wing it i reckon, better to pursue something you love tbh ... 16 years family business with my father is 3 life times enough for me ;)

4. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Then you miss a lot of worlds best dive sites ;) Ok.. radio.. of course.. oxygen is a must, except when close to medical services (=close to chamber with a fast boat)..but mostly having a fast boat is just self betrayal. Most of the time anyway sea prevents such speeds.. and besides DCS is quite rare and even more often not very dangerous thou demands allways medical care..

5. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Egypt has a LOT of dive sites we do have some facilities but its not easy reaching them even with a fast boat, but as they say luck prefers the prepared or something like that !

You should really consult a shrink when:
    1- You start to imagine how to fit a bilge pump in your bathroom to get ride of access water...
    2- When you start referring to your car's hood as the bow
    3- When you start taking sea sickness pills for headache
    4- When you start talking to people about boats like its life and death
    5- When you sneak off at midnight to continue on your research
    6- When you start telling your friends they need a new hobby and should get a boat ....

My appointment is next week ....

6. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

:p nothing to add..

7. daiquiri

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I'm probably indeed missing some good stuff, but I've had a dive accident 4 yrs ago, and it was a huge lesson for me.
    I used to live in a fast lane before it happened, but have literally changed my lifestyle aftewards. I've learned to do all my things with ease, taking all the time and precautions necessary. Diving to -40 or -50 in some wild remote angle of the world is a beautiful experience, but is not really so important if it cannot be done safely. ;)

In this part of the world they say "who gets bitten by a snake, bewares of lizards." :)

Sorry for going off-topic here.

8. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Not at all your right though, we have a saying in Arabic if you get burned by soup you blow in yogurt!!

No worries so back to topic then ;) how much does a dead rise angle effect a particular hull shape?
    In other words if i keep all the other parameters consistent and just change the dead rise how would the boat's handling differ at slow and fast speed?

9. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Thats something I'm not willing to do either without some precautions and when feeling 100% healthy :)

10. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

I would never dive in such temperature period ... Egyptians dont get along well with cold weather ..... never seen snow either

>.< ok ok back to dead rise !!!

11. daiquiri

:D :D

It was -40 meters, not degrees. ;)

12. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

DEAD RISE !! :p

lolz that either im open water diver dont do those depths ! Trimax mixture ?n

13. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

You get your aow and deep specialty it's ok to go 40m down with air.. Not so long ago 50-60m with air was quite common..

14. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

15. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Why are fishing boats different in their hull shape then other boats of the same size? Are they more sea worthy and more comfortable in rougher water?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.