Rc44

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by retro sail, Dec 25, 2012.

1. retro sail

retro sail New Member

Hi,
    I wuold like to build a RC RCFortyFour of about 88cm-s. Could anyone support me with some plans (eventually just very similar) as I could not found them free or for sale. I presume this RC could be very successful in rc match race.
    Thanks and welcome any proposal.

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Retro; First I am going to assume that you are speaking of sailboats.

An important preliminary plan of action would be to discover what class of RC boats are being sailed in your country. Build to the most popular class if you anticipate participation at regattas. This advice is also valid if your intent is to participate in RC power boat competitions. Your participation is contingent on having a boat that fits the class rules. Otherwise you will not be welcome to race with them.

There are many sources for plan set of different classes of boats. Many of them are free. Google AMYA (american model yacht association) then select a class that appeals to you. Many of the individual class societies do have an assortment of free plans ready for download.

For power boat models try Fastelectric.com. There is a truckload of information there, Model plans and all.

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Rc 44

I think he was talking about scaling down this boat: http://www.rc44.com/
    But I think your advice is best-scaling down a full size boat isn't likely to produce a model that is fast against other models designed from scratch.

4. retro sail

retro sail New Member

Thanks for reply. Actually I am already involved in Micromagic sail racing and now we are working to build up a new class RG65. There are already some "standard" RG65-s built, but we sized and fitted an older VOR open to class requiremennts and in downwind is app 2-2,5x faster than "just" downloaded ones.
    As RC44 (www.rc44.com) is a fast inshore race boat idea is to scale one (build it first at 88 cm size) and than adapt it as well to RG65 class regs. We think there might be a good racing potential in it and it is a very nice shaped hull. But there are no usable drawings to find.

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

6. retro sail

retro sail New Member

Thanks for idea and contact. Maybe it'll help...

7. Mik the stick

Mik the stick Senior Member

Raced RC powerboats in my youth

I raced RC powerboats in my youth. The first thing I learned about designing boats was scale speed. Your boat is about 1/15 scale @ 88cms. So its scale speed will be 15^0.5 = 3.87 x it's speed on the water, probably around 5.5 knots. If the real thing can make 8 knots at 1/15 scale the model will make 8/3.87 = 2.07 knots. My advise is to get a good plan for a model racing yacht the longer the waterline length allowed by the rules the better. If your model was allowed to be 100cms it would go faster in the same conditions than the smaller model.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.