First Empression

Discussion in 'Forum Questions and Suggestions' started by dishsail, Jun 20, 2006.

1. dishsail

dishsail Junior Member

Dear Members:

I would like to inform you my first empression of this forum is that you are not very helpful to a beginner wishing to get into the industry. I had asked a historical question under the post thread Design History and received a very strong negative response back from Hunter25 letting me know that I need to do research on my own and that is forum is not for me to ask questions about my homework.

I would also like to say that I am very serious about becoming a yacht designer, but if the response within the community is at all like Hunter25 then I am sure that I don't want to join this community as you are not very accomondating to helping follow designers.

Sincerely,
    Joe

2. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

First impression?

You have been a member from 2003 and many of your questions have been answered politely. Your "design history" thread" is only a few hours old.

What on earth motivated you to post this thead?

3. antonfourie

antonfourie Senior Member

Dishsail, there are many quirks on this form some of them good and some bad, but that is the nature of forums, try to see the good and not the bad, I too am learning to become a yacht designer and have learnt lots from this forum, you just have to sift through a lot of arbitary posts.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I looked at your posts. Several are complaining about something or another. Also, you started a thread asking for advice on a design assignment and then abandoned it. What do you mean nobody offers help? It seems you want your homework done by someone else. I can't believe the text books for Westlawn don't have the most basic information you are asking for. Also, it is insulting to characterize everyone because you didn't like an answer by one member.

5. hansp77

hansp77

Dishsail,
    the response to your thread in question was hardly uniform. Like Gonzo says, to characterize everyone by the answer of one, or even a few members is insulting. Some members may only check in once a week, once a month or yearly- So this might be one of the first posts from you that they read!
    Also, while some of the early responses may have been a little harsh or impolite, they were still in essence fair-
    as a student and a future boat designer- you gotta do the work yourself.

By the end of your thread, which you seem to have abandoned, these same people have given you some real help- some simple resources where you can find this stuff out for yourself.

I think it is time for you to swallow your injured pride- and enjoy this forum for what it is (the best that I have found)-
    Otherwise -if you can't see by now that (most) people here are genuinly motivated by good intentions most of the time, then maybe you should try somewhere else. Unfortunately you may find that people are 'human' where ever you go- especially with the anonymity of internet forums.

(maybe woodenboatforum- http://www.woodenboat-ubb.com/vbulletin/upload/search.php?searchid=40791
    in-between politics, 'eye-rack', outright personal abuse and vasectomies (spelling?) they do occasionally talk about the odd boat or two:D :p :eek: )

I do hope you stay around.
    and I am sure that many others do too.

6. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

I am likely to enroll in Westlawn as I think it develope people into a person...... I think your result is funny and unpolite to the senior that had help you........ I have my wrong opinion before thinking they are against me, but in reality they have their own life and real time responsiblility........ their input through the forum would be short and hasty because other duty at hand.

I find it very disturbing the way you're not yet a designer but act everybody owe you something................. these guys will get back at your question after their own business in the net is handle........ cant u understand it?

I have language barrier and from a developing country and I at least understand this................ my personal gratitute to the forum cant be measured as I become matured and behave from the post I received and now reply. Sorry, joke is ok but say they 're(Senior Member) useless for not answer you private homework?

They treat you like Brother that why they wanted you to gain handon experience not taking short-cut.......... it the rite of passage man........... dont screw yourself and it doesnt take a single designer to change the world but everyone of the saturated industry................

WDH

7. Wellydeckhand

I am likely to enroll in Westlawn as I think it develope people into a person...... I think your result is funny and unpolite to the senior that had help you........ I have my wrong opinion before thinking they are against me, but in reality they have their own life and real time responsiblility........ their input through the forum would be short and hasty because other duty at hand.

I find it very disturbing the way you're not yet a designer but act everybody owe you something................. these guys will get back at your question after their own business in the net is handle........ cant u understand it?

I have language barrier and from a developing country and I at least understand this................ my personal gratitute to the forum cant be measured as I become matured and behave from the post I received and now reply. Sorry, joke is ok but say they 're(Senior Member) useless for not answer you private homework?

They treat you like Brother that why they wanted you to gain handon experience not taking short-cut.......... it the rite of passage man........... dont screw yourself and it doesnt take a single designer to change the world but everyone of the saturated industry................

WDH

8. Wellydeckhand

I think I have problem with posting...... double post??????? Jeff can u have a look for me? Thanks..... feel awful with these extra post emerging........WDH

9. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

Most of what you read on these forums are designers helping designers. It appears that you are not a "fellow designer", you are a student. While most of us on here will always be students, the student is not a peer of the master.

Forums are a great place for technical support and for people who share an esoteric interest to socialize -- it's all about give and take -- everybody helps everybody else. When you don't have a lot to give, you're still free to take what you can.

If you're going to use a forum that was designed for sharing as a free tech support service or for homework -- don't be surprised if you're occasionally advised to read the manual first, and then call back.

1 person likes this.
  10. Wellydeckhand

11. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

If you can't stand the heat . . . . .:cool:

12. Toot

Toot Senior Member

From the link...
    Dangit! I almost wet myself!
    (Gotta try harder next time!)

Relax, take a chill pill, open your mind. Absorb all the info you possibly can and restrict your posts to either questions that you've already tried to research, or else post goofy things that will hopefully make people laugh.

< "My Reputation Points" (Off-topic Split) | How about a chatboard? >
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.