MY propellor is too BIG

Discussion in 'Props' started by rich99uk, Jul 23, 2007.

1. rich99uk

rich99uk Junior Member

I have a 22 foot semi displacment hull fishing boat with a ford transit 2.5 DI (approx 4000 rpm) engine init. with a 3:1 reduction gearbox. Thw boat is a heavy boat. The prop i have at moment is 18 x 12
    At precent I am only getting about 2500 RPM max.
    I was goint to take it and get a inch taking off the diamiter however i still not sure that is going to be enough or even if that would work lol.
    I dont want to get it cut down and balanced then realised i have to take it back off and do it again gets a bit expensive.
    So i though about trimming it down myself gradually then taking it out for test and when i get approx right RPM take it off and get it balanced proffesionally. What does everyone think ??? Any Other Ideas ????

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You need to reduce pitch not dia. Try ringing Lancing marine near you, they may swop or sell you a second hand one.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.