My one sheet steel boat project

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by hobo_hut, Jul 22, 2009.

1. nordvindcrew

nordvindcrew Senior Member

naysayers

So much for those who said a small boat wasn't practical in steel. and it's good looking too

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I would consider another color too...a cream or light beige or tan for the interior...not so glarey on the eyes as white and not so bleagh as gray. Hides dirt too.

3. hobo_hut

hobo_hut Junior Member

Here is a quick render of the boat being polished with a boot stripe.

[​IMG]

4. tyhello12

tyhello12 New Member

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Hmmm - a ten foot boat that weighs triple the weight of a 16ft canoe, and thats without flotation, ribs and stiffening around the edges.

They were right!

6. nordvindcrew

nordvindcrew Senior Member

right

Obviously, with your objections, you are correct. My point was, and is, that a small boat for a specific purpose can be built of steel if weight isn't the prime consideration. In a harbor nearby there are three steel skiffs about 14'. They are at a crowded fishing pier and take a great deal of abuse and survive where the wood and fiberglass boats get destroyed in short order. The boat in this thread may be impractical from some points of view, but is a good looking boat and may fit the owners needs perfectly.

7. hobo_hut

hobo_hut Junior Member

First off this boat is not the ideal boat. I have no problems admitting that. However this is simply an experiment that happened to have good results. The boat is very stiff and when its done will have stiffening around the edges. the boat does not need rids. It is very, very stiff, please believe me when I say that. Maybe its because of the double ended design? I did not expect it to be that way either. That is why I have 40 feet of steel tubing in my garage that was planned as ribs. That steel will not be needed now.

Also last time I checked, the average 16 ft canoe does not weigh 33 lbs. True a lot do, but most don't. Take a look at many 10 to 13 foot dinghies made from stitch and glue and you will find that a lot of them weigh close to 80 or 100 lbs. So,yes this boat is on the heavy side at close to 90 lbs, but this boat is tough and cheap. All my materials so far have been under 100 dollars. Lastly this boat will probably take a thrashing that would send a stitch and glue boat to splinters.

Just to those who think or wonder I am not here to say that small steel boats are the most awesome and greatest thing since sliced bread, that is not the case. I am simply trying to see if I can make a nice steel boat because so many have said that small steel boats are too impractical too even try.

Criticisms are appreciated, its all apart of the learning and creating process..thank you

1 person likes this.
  8. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

I think it's a fine looking craft that may fare very well amongst the other skiffs at a community dock. I haven't read the whole thread, apologies, what are your plans for rustproofing?

9. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Hobo: Judging from the picture, it can be said with confidence that you are one hell of an accomplished craftsman. I can find little to criticize and much to be pleased with. (well.... maybe the boot top is a little too low.)

Keep up the good work.

10. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Lastly this boat will probably take a thrashing that would send a stitch and glue boat to splinters.

GREAT!! Many dink docks allow folks to tie up with short painters , as if they own the dock by getting there first.

With 20ft painters frequently 4X as many boats could be accomidated with ease.

Our cruising dink is Aluminum , and stands up well to the condom dinks .

Your results with this boat should be even better!

NICE WORK!!

Want to build a 39 x 7.5 cruiser?

FF

11. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Epoxy will take the ring out of her, like putting your hand on a bell.
    A frame would only stiffen it a couple of inches either side of the frame. It is the shape that gives you the stiffness, like any other origami boat. The seat should hold your beam.
    Nice work. Would be great in aluminium.
    Brent

12. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

I believe you have done a great job. I know there will be at least one other inspired by your result.

The weight is tolerable for this size boat. With proposed solid buoyancy it should be safe and durably solid.

Rick W

1 person likes this.
  13. Barron

Barron Junior Member

Great Job !

14. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Nice work
    It explains why it is extremely difficult for some to comprehend the stiffness that shape and chines give a hull, without the need for ribs, until they have actually tried it. Only then does it become self evident. Putting decks on makes it even more self evident.
    A sheet metal model has the same explanitory value.
    Brent

15. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hobo hut

either i dont get it or they dont get it

if i am right all these guys have egg on their faces, congratulating you on a job well done which isnt done at all

please post pics of the actual boat so that we can really see what the final job actually looks like after welding and grinding

am i wrong ??????

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.