My new baby! 6.8 Meter fiber over wood fishing boat !

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Vulkyn, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

2. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

I know this is not epoxy, but is that a viable option (im still looking for epoxy suppliers!!)
    http://www.menacons.com/frp.htm

Also found this
    http://www.basf-cc.com.eg/en/products/RepairSystemProtectiveCoatings/Pages/default.aspx

Sorry for having you go through these Apex but it seems this particular laminate is not widespread (hence the lack of knowledge using epoxy laminate with fiber glass in Egypt)
    Thank for your time in looking into these, you have have kindly given me a lot of your free time to help me out....

Thumbs up for being a star ...

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Please stop posting links to concrete admixtures, thats rather a waste of time!

You may remember I asked you to contact De Birs and ask for their suppliers.

Regards
    Richard

4. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

i must have missed De Birs comment.

Only De Birs in Egypt is a boat builder http://www.debirsyachts.com/services

Ill keep looking when i get to cairo ....

Quick update, a friend used to work for De Birs they do import epoxy but only for their yacht building not for others in the market, they are also located in the free zone, which means i can not get from them. They import their materials directly not through the local market.
    (I work in a duty free zone myself so i know the problems involoved)

Back to the drawing boards then .... (Still have a meeting with West epoxy this week, i guess its my last resort if i cant find anything else).

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

I hope you manage to get something cheaper.

Will not be around here for the next weeks (or at least not much), have a looong to do list.*
    I hope others will continue until I´ll be back.

Regards
    Richard

*And still some miles to sail:

Attached Files:

• SA5.jpg
      SA5.jpg
      File size:
      325.6 KB
      Views:
  6. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

got an email saying this is the epoxy i need .... emailed back saying this is for electrical application ....
    He emails back saying it works with wood ....

Meh i doubt that :S still any feedback would be great.

i attached the spec sheet...

oh and happy sailing ... :D

Attached Files:

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Sounds right, get some few grams for a test with wood!

Regards
    Richard

8. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Update:

Just had a meeting with west systems. Some really nice info from them, the engineer suggested i use stitch and glue for my method using ceder wood (which he has in stock).

However material are (as expected) expensive, they do have an excellent fiber glass product that far exceeds anything i found in the market.

So hopefully, i am going to get the fiber from them and the epoxy from CMB (who i posted above) or them.
    They have excellent support and training should i need any help which is a great ease of mind!

The question now is to go stitch and glue or frames and if its stitch and glue i can buy an existing design online and build it (he offered to cut the MDF wood i will use as the mold using his plotter / cutter system)

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Glen L,

Bateau.com

Selway Fisher

Have some proven S&G designs.

Your Mulberry is not a bad choice for the method we had in mind!

S&G requires MARINE plywood! That will cost you a fortune.

Regards
    Richard

10. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Yah i estimated around 15,000 L.E for epoxy - mulbery and around 30,000 L.E for stitch and glue with cider wood.
    They use Cider wood not marine wood with S&G (which is cheaper!)

So i will need some more reading. What is the method we will use called if i am too look for plans?

He raised a question that ribbed wooden boats are much harder to work on with epoxy (I know he is trying to sell his products).

(On a side note, can use stitch and glue with mulbery)

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

No,

S&G means MARINE PLY !!! and epoxy, period! Forget it................

The method I thought about is strip planked Mulberry on Mulberry frames.

I provided links to that method! (as to others)

Bateau.com
    http://www.newfound.com/

Regards
    Richard

12. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Can you please elaborate more on why S&G works with marine plywood only?
    It seems that all west woods building in Egypt (since 15 years) is with Ceder only and they even prefer it over marine plywood.

The fiber they use is called PXL which is 4 direction woven cloth (horizontal vertical, diagonal right and left) that looks pretty nice (much much better than the crap iv seen so far.)

I will get some epoxy samples from CMB and i have the yard ready with some mulbery planks to try it out on my next visit!!
    -----------

Reading back through the posts, it seems like sooo long ago ..... this has been one of the most rewarding experiences i have undergone!! I am deeply in love with boats now even wife is starting to get pissed off at me reading all the time ;)

13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Ya, mine too.

14. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Here is a picture of a sample for Cedar wood that was recommended by west systems.

Attached Files:

15. apex1

apex1 Guest

You are mixing the building methods up! S&G works with flat sheets of ply, the cedar Planks are for strip planking!

Back to school.................:)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.