1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

bigger than yours? hehehe

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Oh so it's size that counts now suddenly :D Mine will be shorter, but wider.

Almost winter here, when it's cold I'm starting on the beams. Haven't sunk in yet but leave it like that, I've much to do on the moment...

3. masalai

masalai masalai

I was convinced that wider is not wiser as the twisting forces increase exponentially and the 39'C is quite a stiff build and designer will not countenance any increase in beam....

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi Mas

that press - are the "jaws" heated ?

how long does the panel sit in the press before you can move on to the next joint

because it seems like quite a fast operation?

aneeeeewaaaaay lookin flippen gooood mate :D

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

So Mas, are you going to come show the boat to us here or are you also going to just sit in the marina like some other guys here on the forum...

Can just as well, you're going to need the vacation once it's done.

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

more likely to be sniffing glue
    but
    I am exited to see what he builds out of the glue he might have left over from the initial party

great piece of dirt you have to work in
    beautiful area
    best of luck on the build Mas

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Manie, yes, 15 minutes depending on ambient temp....
    Fanie, depends on the piratical situation and other factors...
    Boston, epoxy is not bad - and we are not working to fasten pieces in confined places yet (tripping out is for later - but getting in to practice with a beer after every day's work.) volunteer places are available for a small fee:D:D paid by the volunteer to me:D... The glass dust is quite itchy, and is partially eased by a good HOT shower and plenty of soaping, followed by a cold shower to close the pores after the "glass dust" is removed...

8. judy

judy Oram 44C Builder

Manie, the press jaws are heated. Here's a video of our pressing, (too) many years ago:

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Ok some more pics - - If you look carefully you will see that the pile of stuff leaning against the wall of the shed is increasing, and the pile in the middle of the shed is getting smaller 63 sheets ready for the actual putting it all together, and about 30 something to go - the serious stuff starts about Wednesday.... - the last one is Bryan showing where the mast on his boat will go... (he needed to stretch after doing some work inside the chain locker nearby :D:D:D:D) then there is peak hour traffic causing chaos as it is very slow moving and bum-per to bum-per (about 4 ft of lots of hairy stinging caterpillars doing their seasonal thing.)...

Attached Files:

10. masalai

masalai masalai

what didn't upload is still not uploaded ? - hairy caterpillars... as the file is bigger than 2MB

11. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I thought you were building a BOAT. Now I see you use firewood to plank together some kind of wooden float... :eek:
    Here in SA we make basic furnitures with that pressed wood ;)

What does the binary do ?

BTW, we have a stunning product in SA that you can use to join stuff... it's our toilet paper. You just keep the perforations right on the joint and it will never come loose. Our toilet paper NEVER tears on the perforation.

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

What's the round thing to your left on the oram... and the square box with tap ? on the side ? Water tanks ?

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

oh I hate reconstituted wood
    they give it a name like engineered lumber and think they are fooling anyone
    but in the end its saw dust glued and pressed to unknown specifications
    the plant around here that makes the stuff got the largest materials manufacturers fine ever totaling over 9 fines for fraudulent performance and manufacturing claims over 2 billion us dollars in fines over a period of 4 years
    never trust engineered lumber

rant done
    thank you for your time
    love
    B

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Ok you fools can use mdf (non-pellatised fuel for Bostons steam boat - scrap to stop scratching during delivery), the other is secret high-tech endgrain-balsa with 1000gm quadraxial e-glass/epoxy on both sides @ 150kg/m3.... Quality control is excellent, as is the service from ATL for all nice people.... I am using the mdf (2 sheets leaning against the cut out sections), as scrap to place under something or use as a template to get the shape of something.... almost like toilet paper but useful sometimes...

"mdf" is the name given to sawdust mixed with **** then heated and compressed into furniture for poor people like usanians - covered with a thin veneer to make it look like wood (we gotta get rid of **** somehow) - it uses mostly ********.... the good sawdust is put into flour for biscuits (per specifications stipulated by usa), delivered to usa from china and on-sold to SA to feed the starving whites there...

All 88 panels are glued and re-cut to make the construction panels.... first hull will be started tomorrow, then turned over to treat the bottom ready for launch (this is top secret treatment) and will be covered when done, then stacked to one side whilst the other hull is assembled and likewise treated and covered with a black plastic skirt to protect it from drops of paint etc., during the joining and other finishing processes... no photographs today for you cheeky sods....

The cylindrical device is the hot water system and the rectangular one is one of the fuel tanks - all nicely painted... and now installed...

That white boat was literally dragged from the shed where mine is now being built, and then spun around on the grassy slope... Could your build stand up to something similar unscathed?....

Oh did you know that the Aussy passengers on that Greek/Italian cruise boat, are said to have repelled the pirates with a heavy barrage of empty beer bottles, rotten food & over-ripe fruit - it is also rumoured that some fire-hoses were used - but the Aussies said that after drinking 6 bottles a minute they needed to have a piss too - seems all you yanks are redundant - all it takes is some good chemical Aussy beer and some incentive for a drinking party....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.