1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks for the info, I am looking for a local site (Australian) as I am not now sure of the appropriateness of BD.net???

Your "pen & ink" avatar looks quite impressive.... I have bookmarked the new site....

2. judy

judy Oram 44C Builder

Googling "free australian blog" reveals a couple of Australian run blogging sites. However they do not specify if they use Australian or overseas servers.

If you use one of these smaller, lesser known sites, make sure you can export/download your content easily and frequently, as it would be awful to lose your valuable data in the event of the site going bust or ceasing to exist.

Of course this could happen with the well-funded popular sites like blogger.com and wordpress.com too, but I consider the risk to be lower. I do however perform daily exports of my wordpress.com blogs to my computer (which also is backed up to a external hardrive). I'd hate to lose our boat project data, especially as we constantly refer back to it when we forget how we did something etc.

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Mas good for you :D

very exciting stuff :D

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Now all I need is "uncle Bob Bernakie", to stop his manipulating the economy in the USA as it impacts the rest of the world, and he should let things happen as they will.... naturally, - - then I should have a reasonable chance....

A bit under AU53K to ATL for the build materials precut, and some other expenses to be met before start date around 22 April....

5. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Mas as you can gather i am a HUGE FAN when it comes to a build project :D :D :D

from some of the other posts i gather that you have premises and the "dream team" all organized

what is your estimated build time = program

with a good team could this be done in 18 months ??

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

starting to look like the drivel thread kids
    my theory is its as much fun to build it as to sail it
    Mas you are going to have a great time
    best of luck
    B

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks all for the wishes - The shed is available for 12 months - - so - - that is the build time :D:D:D:D wanna lend a hand? - I could do with all the help I can get....

8. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Brian
    Do ATL provide any proof test data for the specific panels made for your hulls?

Are you intending to do any independent testing?

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi guys

Wow Mas, I'm really worried about our main drivel man turning serious all of a sudden :D

It's a madhouse here on the moment, but I'll be along in a bit.

And 4 5 c, behave yourselves ;)

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Due diligence will occur :D - - - I have confidence in the product from the builds I have seen and visited using a method similar to that of Bob Oram, Schionning and others in this region - have a look at the "Scrumble Project" link posted by Judy - there are a couple of shots of the delivery - lots of sheets to join with the assistance or a loan device provided by ATL to facilitate the process.

I have regularly visited a couple of builds, watching the processes as they progress and had a close examination of one that was smashed onto a retaining wall, during a cyclone a year ago - the heavy mono that hooked and dragged anchor to cause the cat to dash against the wall was totalled - the cat was mostly re-buildable but may not be done as a new build would be easier...

11. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

I will be interested in any independent test data you come by regarding direct adhesion strength and panel bending for the ATL panels.

Rick W

12. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Hi Mas does - ATL perhaps have a website with a bit of info?

and to add to what the guys are asking i would also like to know the thickness of the balsa and the thickness of the two outer "skins" of "glass"

for the outer skins are they using an epoxy or polyester?

what weight of glass is in the laminate?

if i win the lotto i will come and work by you for a beer and a sandwich :D
    unless of course YOU win the lotto and buy my plane ticket :p

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

What would also be very interesting if they have any comparative data on strength.

I would love to know what compares to what eg.

"x" mm marine ply on its own (thick) = "x" mm ATL panel with "x" mm glass and epoxy both sides = "x" mm marine ply (thin) with the same thickness glass and epoxy both sides as the ATL panels

it would be intersting for starters to see in a simple experiment of the 3 pieces - say 1.0 m x 0.1 m supported on both ends - how much weight can it carry before it breaks :idea:

14. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

MOST important of all

what does each weigh per sq meter

15. masalai

masalai masalai

have a look here - http://www.atlcomposites.com.au/atl_composites/ - what is being asked is for me to compare farts, feathers, ply & ferro-cement? - Well check out the ATL website for their various composite panels, then get a designer, with whom you have confidence and had a look at their products and the damaged boats from severe storm damage by being bashed relentlessly onto rocky shores - I am happy so far.... and 350000 is a sum that is not to be wasted....

End grain balsa is light and has some inherent weaknesses which can be overcome with appropriate engineering in the construction processes. - - One does not go out sailing to "play chicken" with a 20+knot cruise-liner, nor ordinarily build to be literally bullet-proof armoured against a possible pirate attack... Several Oram designs are being built overseas using general construction based on ATL composites as does Schionning and I think Grainger, to name a few.... Don't rely on me I am not a boat building expert - I am confident in what I have seen....

Manie, the balsa composite panels come in various thicknesses and weights of "cloth" - usually made to order...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.