1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

American quality control and support is feeling the pinch of the hard times, so most of that had to be hurriedly done at the last minute - The fairing front and rear of the motor was just heavy bog and the leg was two pipes (about 1.5? inch OD up from the motor)... BBQ on board this Saturday (at the club marina)

Mine is still having the shelving taped and the fascia cut and readied, - - and figuring where everything else has to be put according to weight - - - batteries (20 @ 19.8kg each), genset, RO water-maker, 4000W inverter, water tanks, fuel tanks, freezers (2) and that the washing machine can be carried down the stairs and into its position OK, that the 2 double bed innerspring mattresses will fit and can be carried in to place....

Some things take a little time to get done...

Because of the global economic uncertainty, Purchases that can be deferred, are, like the batteries, solar panels, Torqeedo motors and marine electronics... The genset had to be done as we needed to fit the mounts and consider weight distribution as well as installation of its plumbing, wiring, fuel tanks etc... The batteries may be a case of joining forces with another builder and do a bulk buy, solar panels will be just me as I know of no others requiring 12 or so 200 watt panels and the Torqeedo may be a 4 unit (2 boat) purchase... As with the ships navigation and other instruments, I am open to preparing a list and seeing what the market can offer nearer April 2010 launch date... Galley is just a matter of shopping around in the normal retail arena...

Other than this addendum, visually nothing exciting to show as the detail and fiddly bits will persist for some time yet... The Kubota has arrived at "Wattagan Innovations" (some 675Km "as the crow flies" - actually great circle route by helicopter? - from my boat build) for the attention of Phil Dorman to fit the Delcos'... - - I hope to visit John Hitch whilst he is in Mooloolabah, and learn about his rig... CYA on the water soon...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  2. masalai

masalai masalai

Did you know, this is the approximate site of the first gold mine in PNG?... Used to be the source of funding of a German Catholic mission pre 1914... Location lat: 2.771636 deg S, lon 151.993015 E in "decimal degrees" on Googleearth....

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Well, today I met a legend... John Hitch, and was shown around "XIT" pronounced 'exit'... the boat will comfortably head 35 degrees into the apparent wind, which is difficult to do as she is so fast.... (I was shown a brag shot of XIT doing 23.99knots).... that she generates significant headwind even on a true wind beam reach....

We had a chat about his sail plan and how it worked (both main genoas work on every point EXCEPT 90 deg apparent - so to fix it pull up a little and the apparent wind shifts further forward as speed picks up :D:D:D) wind over 13knots, start reefing windward, then leeward, leaving the little "blade/storm-sail".... Never sail downwind head off about 30 degrees and go a lot faster in vmg downwind... - I think I have that bit down OK.... seems like a very easy rig to manage, and very effective and very simple.... Just what I want...

John's boat is nice, yes?... about 52 ft loa, 32 ft beam, hulls are 2 ft wide....

Attached Files:

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Here is what the boat looks like now, some paint, some epoxy to seal the void areas, lots of effort, not much to see...

Attached Files:

5. masalai

masalai masalai

For those following the "ills" that befal as a consequence of my getting a little too close to epoxy, here are some cut and paste comments on it and other options...

Boston on what may also be known as Fullers' ... Resorcinal is an formaldehyde base glue and was definitely found to cause health problems in both prolonged exposure to out gassing and in short term exposure through direct contact and to glue vapors during cure there are a few simple precautions you can take to avoid those issues epoxy has less health issues
    but still has some pretty interesting components... Bisphenol-A is an major component to epoxy and is none to kindly on the old endocrine system but once again I've found a few precautions that seem to negate the majority of the health issues...

kengrome... (Quote: -) I'll likely do the repair with resorcinol anyhow, as the location actually makes it pretty easy to put a bottle-jack under it to apply pressure and hold everything in place. (end Quote)
    If all your pieces are not fitted to very close tolerances your solution is not going to be good enough. Epoxy is 'gap-filling' which means it works even when there are small or large gaps in between the two pieces being glued. Resorcinol *requires* sub-millimeter fitting of the pieces in order to glue them together reliably, and if you don't make your pieces fit that closely resorcinol will be inferior to epoxy.
    Usually only the best craftsmen use resorcinol because they are the only folks capable of making two parts fit together with such close tolerances. I'm not suggesting that you cannot do this, but if you've never worked with resorcinol before you're probably going to have problems with it. It is not a glue for people who build to less than near perfect tolerances, and most people don't come anywhere close to this kind of joinery ... which is why epoxy is so much more appropriate for so many people.

Boston... if I might add another two cents I think Kengrome is talking gospel here friend
    please take this as a kindly word but how many years building does that broker have under him its going to be lots or none at all...
    'Course that bottle jack just might introduce you to Newtons third law which would play a lot easier if you were dancing with epoxy ...

Aethelwulffe... I believe the question is "are resorcinol laminated planks appropriate". The answer is a resounding yes. I love resorcinol. As a Urea-formaldehyde glue, you should not breathe the powder when mixing it (respirator). Post-cure, it is safe. Resorcinol is said to have been invented in WW2, and first used in the Dehavailland Mosquito bomber, but other sources show that it has been around for a very very long time. Whatever way, it is wonderful stuff.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Do you mean epoxy has made carpenters into brick layers mass.

Bit o carpet on top or a bit of formica if you want posh.

I saw a boat in Aus once at a yard for sale near sydney.

It was white paint with formica and white painted drawers. I went back to tell they dealer that it is not what I was looking for.

He looked me up and down,-- and in an Aus accent said " Oh yeah mate --its a mans boat"

A boat needs to do many things, but 99% of its time it is in a marina.

7. masalai

masalai masalai

Well I know of 2 "house carpenters" who are building boats... I don't know about brick layers?

The epoxy component Bisphenol-A, is what must have screwed my pancreas (which produces insulin & glucagon)...

The Resorcinal glue component, formaldehyde makes me fart prolifically and is more devastating than any nerve gas to come out of the laboratories of the USA germ warfare division.... (chemical processes are patented)....

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I love the smell of epoxy, and i wished dearly it made me fart. I would take good sniff of it before departing on a long flight.

I like sitting by the window you see and i like being on my own

My mate used to fart horrible after a burger king so when he went to florida to buy propellers he would fart at people if they would'nt talk to him.

Sometime I can get the gas alarm to go off.

Pssst dont tell any one this is so embarrassing.

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

hey Mas interesting read
    umm ya
    epoxy definetly has some interesting side effects
    I think a fellow named Jimbo might if he is feeling so inclined tell of the other components than Bisphenol-A
    he did mention em in an earlier conversation in reference to BP-A being the least of your worries
    in regards to formaldehyde glues and out gassing
    try checking into the Fema trailers that had to be abandoned after Katrina down south
    they used formaldehyde glue
    and the formalin gasses caused permanent nerve damage to some folks with hypersensitivity
    and some without

in regards to alternatives
    Im investigating the extent that certain glues creep under stress
    esentially epoxy vs tight bond 3
    my preliminary findings are that epoxy will creep
    but less than the T-3
    depends on the accuracy of the joint
    for my build Im thinking laminated frames, keel and double diagonal planking

still looking for glue alternatives to epoxy or res
    not sure Im going to find one
    but looking

Ill be using epoxy if I cant find a suitable alternative
    cheers
    B

and best to you Mas
    keep clear of the shop when they are mixing mate
    want you to be able to enjoy years at sea
    you earned em

cheers to that
    B

10. masalai

masalai masalai

When you mix your epoxy, add an equal volume of those micro-spheres they fill it out and make it easy to fill the joins and fillet out the join... Some say the hulls, like I am building, have quite a bit of flexibility so the stresses are capable of being spread rather than concentrated at a pinpoint as some of the "hard glues" may do, so helping to make a stronger boat if the engineering takes this into account and utilises that property to advantage... Get one of those high quality face-masks with carbon filters, and wear it (bloody hot, but better that than the other consequences)....

The Oram designs seem to be able to take a great deal of punishment with very little adverse damage.... I am confident in the robustness of my build, and Bob Oram's design... All joins are also strengthened with 750gsm tape on both sides... Key bulkheads significantly more than that, using several processes, in order to spread the load and increase the load bearing capacity... for example each of my chain-plates are built in and designed, so I am told, for well in excess of 12000kg loads (not quite 3 times the cruise ready weight of the boat...)

11. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Your`e doing a great job Mas !!!! :cool:

12. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Designers and builders have come a long way Mas...That boat of yours is
    virtually a monocoque load bearing / spreading shell.Very strong and light.
    Most impressive.

Best regards...:cool: BF

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Keep going Mas, it looks better and better !!

14. masalai

masalai masalai

One picture of the set of steps looking down, and one of grandson in where the toilet will be... Also I went and got the plan view and profile view blown up to 1:10 so the sheets are 1.65m x 0.95m and pinned on the office wall... One of the plan views will be stuck onto some plywood and have the rigging set up so I/we can work on sheet and rigging layout....

Attached Files:

15. masalai

masalai masalai

No extra stuff done, but here are some images... taken after I swept the floor this morning (18-Aug-09) to those still on yesterday:D:D:D

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.