1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Ouch! And here I am thinking it's a rough duty I have pulled having to build a catamaran for the wife. To think... building a catamaran and then still messing around on land?? I'm not sure I could do it. Hat's off to you!

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi CatBuilder,
    Get into it... (building your cat - that is) as I would like to see you and your boat before passing-on... Mine is built and awaiting some time on the hard.
    - - to finish off lowering the berths in the aft sections of both hulls and
    - - fitting a pair of 600Litre "turtle-pack" fuel tanks - - I shudder to think how much they will cost :eek: :p
    - - then another engine service...
    - - maybe paint the inside with plastic paint...
    - - change one freezer for a smaller (bar) fridge.
    - - Pray that I will find the money for a watermaker... http://www.waterwitch.com.au/contact.htm
    - - and a small emergency generator, (bunnings?)
    - - fuel up get some groceries and bugger off... - - - - - I hope late this or early 2013 ??? ??? ???

3. groper

groper Senior Member

Ill reply here, as its hardly the topic for the other thread...

Why buy sails at all if your happy motoring? 30k otherwise spent on a sail rig, buys you probably more diesel or coconut oil than you will use in the rest of your lifetime... so why bother if you like motoring?

Swap out the saildrives for slightly larger engines shaft driven with the larger props youve always wanted and be done with it? motor everywhere...?

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Groper --I would agree with you, except that mas has committed himself to a sailor and little can be done now.

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Groper,
    Because, I love to sail.... and it is designed and set-up as a sail-boat, but I ran out of money. :(

I am still waiting for a space on the hard at Montey's - - - - advised not until May :eek: :(

6. groper

groper Senior Member

youve been the ultimate bear for a while now mas... you know they have medication for this kind of thing dont you?

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I'm still going with door number two Manie

[​IMG]

Looks like high times on board or off.

oops
    wasn't off topic was it,

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Lovely sand there and it looks like the tide is out. I think I see some surfing but I cant see for a fat arse,--oh and cheap ankle bracelet.

She is also married.

I don't normally post on this thread but there IS ALMOST NONE LEFT!!!

9. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Starts with the politicians and moves down. When there's rewards for lying and cheating, underlings follow.

That said the *vast* majority of the APS is honest and wants to do their work well.

As for corporate rapacity, it's always been there, just now the rewards are out of line with the penalties. Time to alter the equation somehow.

Nothing really new there, bikie turf wars. Pox on the lot of them. I get some amusement (in the black irony sense) at all the outrage about illegal handguns floating about. Nothing that wasn't predicted many years ago. God help people who hate/fear guns if they ever discover CAD files and CNC milling machines.

Best thing is, just go fishing from your boat, preferably a long way from newspapers and other sources of angst.

PDW

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Mas when violence reaches the point that you get stabbed walking for a Pizza and most people get violated rather then some the Governmet may do something.

We are now far too soft. Burning at the steak , death, torture all frowned upon today but it worked.

Financial met down will be fixed when the rich get richer and the poor are ALL claiming social security and the Gov has no money . Then and only then will the rich be taxed in a way that they should. They will have to be --they will be the only ones with any money.

Kinda getting there now. India has more millionares than USA --USA has more billionaires this year than last.

A serious imbalance of funds. No one showed be allowed more than 1 billion dollars. Bit communist I know but the people have more than the Government.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thats ok mas I never looked at it any way. I dont believe any one more. I only believe what I sees. Thats part of my upbringing and part how I have become through living with Humans, sad I suppose but thats it --bollocks to everyone and look after me and the misus from now on.

Being born white Chrstian English male is like winning the Human lottery. I can live where I want and look the other way.

No im not a saint never set out to be but yes I do care like a rat on a sinking ship,--- it is regrettable .

Billion dollar club is not too late, if you have over 1 billion you must invest , give it away or what ever--you have 1 year to do this. No tax breaks no way round it.

Crikey is a billion not enough???

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Exactly i'snt a billion enough at 3 % its still err 3 mlillion dollars per year.

Plenty enough for a RR. They only snort it up thier nose anyway.

I would start killing people as well, like that Norwegian idiot,-- yes --yes Im a horrible man but if you want some one to pull the lever give me a call.

The Singapore hang man was replaced last year--- I think It was. The paparazzi found out his identity so he was replaced. Apparantly he insisted on meeting them first --he preferred an admitting of guilt but it was'nt necessary.

13. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Complete waste of time & money unless you also introduce birth control or increase the death rate.

Those remote communities all *used* to have food security by managing their population - infant mortality, delayed pregnancies via long breast-feeding periods, taboos over who could have sex with whom, abandonment of the aged/infirm etc. Now they don't.

Sorry but it doesn't work increasing the food supply without feedback mechanisms. That's me wearing my population ecologist hat, the one in black with the pointed bit on the top....

Way OT I guess but it's a response to your posting, so.....

PDW

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Ahhhh, Now for a bit of extremism, - - having recently watched a re-run of 'mad-max-2'... We seem to be playing god or other games? - - How best to reduce the population? - - - Increase the speed limit by 20% and the actual speed of your vehicle must be within 5KMH of that mark or face a heavy fine (strictly revenue raising) and if that does not increase the road toll, then increase it by 20% next year... Remove all airbags and seatbelts as being a redundant part of the "nanny state" - Normal road caused attrition should be quite effective... The governments could lease the rights to collect scrap from sections of the roads (another revenue raising activity, so further reducing the need for ever increasing taxes)... Likewise for ambulances and hospitals as there would be an abundant supply of body parts for commercial repairs to the working classes who would be forced into slavery to pay for hospital costs...

I do not like that sort of society...

On the other hand, in "my" remote tropical island paradise - the population is attuned to the seasonal rhythm of nature - Look on googleearth at the "slash & burn subsistence" where there is visible evidence of rapidly degrading soils and vegetation... Over population is a human rhythm (because humanity is often quite stupid), as per Easter Island theory in the S Pacific... Harvest nature beyond the limit of sustainability and the natural systems of nature will stop sustaining those who live thereon... A lesson that the GW deniers seem to overlook - and that is a global issue, as the "tipping-point" is not visible until the catastrophic endgame is no longer reversible...

Intervention by reafforestation is necessary here... In the Melanesian Islands region, a little commercial manipulation is "acceptable" and I would advocate a modest sized plantation setting adjacent to each village, planting the 'tree-of-life' in the region - cocos nucifera - because it is known and understood and meets most lowland community village needs... http://www.paulowniatrees.com.au/ Has info on another tree, (Paulownia/Kiri). for the higher areas - - and the application of other sustainable methods such as Bill Mollison's 'Permaculture' along with companion planting methods, all facilitate the restoration of and maintaining the lungs of nature... A little terra-preta technique, and gardening can be kept close to the home/village... Riparian areas are the natural domain of the original 'native' plant mix...

Food security, for me, means the ability to effectively store seasonal crops/harvests of food like the decorative Yam 'houses', as on the Trobriand Islands... storage for smoked-fish, mice-proof-grain-bins, next seasons seed material and so on... Tsunamis, severe-storms and earthquakes cannot be avoided... It is not to INCREASE the food supply but allow more time for the community to practice the fine arts of story-telling, carving, painting, dancing, music etc - - and at the same time reducing waste and improving self-sustainability by better practices in sustainability, looking after the natural environment...

Thinking of the African continuing crisis, the present practise of growing ever bigger crops (USA and elsewhere) to feed by aid those stricken by drought and other causes for mass famine is not and never will provide any enduring answer... - The essence is known - help these people to become self sustaining, - as drought is natures response to changes forced upon the seas and land by us, in our demand for ever greater returns and profits...

LEARN and adapt to what the land can consistently deliver... GROWTH in all enterprises and endeavours is NOT sustainable... We must learn to live within our means, and that means what food and drinking water the land can naturally deliver, without restricting the natural cycles elsewhere... Weirs but NO DAMS, as floods must be able to work their recuperative and renewable magic and also encourage the farming of the flood plain to feed those close by... Rivers and associated harbours make ports where opportunities attract growing communities but NOT on floodplain farmlands as that is where the food for that community should be grown (optimising the rhythms of nature)... Urban and industrial areas should be in the surrounding hills where breezes & views make housing attractive... Humanity is really quite stupid most of the time...

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

No--if we need to kill people then not the innocent, just kill stupid people that need killing.

That would make sense to me.

I would not mind being a hang man actually, If I could torture them a bit first, not much just to make them realize that stealing a VDO or parking on yellow line is wrong then pull the lever. I could make up a uniform and I would like a new Toyota,--in black. The only trouble is killing people is usually at dawn and I don't get up till 10,--- so we would have to change that bit.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.