1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

My little piece of peace

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by masalai, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

boston , in australia you can not park your boat in most marinas unless you produce a certificate of currency for 10 million dollar public liability cover. it is a good idea,if your boat catchs fire and burns the neighbors boats with it.

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

yikes thats a lot of insurance, whats something like that cost?

3. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

i have a comprehensive policy on my old boat, it is covered for $15000 for the boat and $ 10 mil liability , it is $600 a year. i have to have the same amount of liability cover for my business to work on commercial construction sites, that policy is $ 1700 a year.

4. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi All,
    The local (Australian) insurers required a recent survey inspection from a licensed surveyor with the vessel hauled out of the water (at a guess around Au$4000, as there are not many facilities that can handle my boat at 21ft+ beam) :eek: :eek: :eek: and the 3 I contacted wanted comprehensive as well - Money grubbers... - - - A "mass produced", (production boat) is accepted as is....

I got my public liability and third party from Europe for Au$600 a year....

I understand that this "demand" for insurance is because of the damage/losses the insurance Companies got hit with in the last 2 years' cyclone and storm events in Queensland... The marinas are built with pylons holding the pontoons being too short to cater for a 9 metre storm surge as is evidenced in several marinas... So the residential accommodation (marina shore apartments) does not have the view blocked by pylons :eek:

See http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/recent_issues.html issue 47 page 13

The knowledgeable cruisers took their boats in to the small mangrove creeks and stayed with their boat in safety...

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Mas, your boatbuilder can provide a survey for you (as long as they are ticketed, and they seemed to be by the quality of the build), and shippy can do so, and it certainly is no where near the 4000, more like 400.

6. masalai

masalai masalai

I am the builder ......... The local insurers did not accept that as being "adequate" and the $4000 included lift out, 1 day on hard-stand, 'special temporary' insurance cover and they specified a "Qualified Surveyor" and the prospect of holes to check the balsa and the voids WITHOUT repair/fixing afterwards !!! - one guess as to my response...

Besides I do not see the point of "comprehensive insurance" when all 'bets are off' and so many conditions applied, that that was not worth considering...

7. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

...no, you are not the builder, you are the building contractor, the boys that built the boat are the builders and they can write it up for you.

A qualified shippy IS a qualified surveyor, I have written many surveys for insurance companies.

8. masalai

masalai masalai

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Pictures... - - - to see the inside of CNO... For sale at Au$375,000 or about 225 troy ounces of .9999 pure gold bullion...or 7.009kg of pure gold 82248

Attached Files:

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Mass, anyway you could finnish the job and then sell off if thats what you really want to do. Seems any half finished project isn't going to fetch nearly what its worth than if you get her done and can take folks out on a shake down cruse. I guess I don't know living inland for the time being but as I recall from growing up on the cape, jobs that weren't completed generally don't fetch much. Your better off scraping up the funds for the rigging and selling as a complete unit than calling it before its completed.

Just my two cents
    best of luck
    B

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Cheers Boston,
    Don't tell anyone but basically it is a sort of "political exercise", as I do not expect any buyers... - if I get any offers I will be able to cite that, to argue of devaluation beyond my control...

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Some more internal images & CNO after loosing lots of weight... 82582

Attached Files:

13. masalai

masalai masalai

If you are not convinced at the reduction in weight, look at the waterlines in these images... Seems I need to get the mower out and trim the grass soon.... 82585

Attached Files:

14. Richard Atkin

Richard Atkin atn_atkin@hotmail.com

hi mas. i'm sure you are aware by now that it is surprisingly easy to live in a small space without too much discomfort when everything is tidy and well-arranged. i believe two people could comfortably live aboard a catalac 8m (i know i mentioned it before). i agree that it is a little risky to sail long distances by yourself, even for a younger person. buying a small used cat means you get an offshore cruiser built like a tank and maintenance costs to suit your pension.
    if you are serious about selling, you should be aggressive. forget the rig. tidy up the interior and advertise everywhere asap. that's my 2 cents.

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

you could always optimize it for motoring and forget the rig. Seems like it would make a seriously nice home for you. The insurance thing I'm sure you could work around and dock fee's might be offset by a sexy room mate. There's bound to be some bikini clad pit woofy hanging out over there somewhere looking for a room ;-)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.