My Impossible mission

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by D.I.M.1, Oct 5, 2009.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

And put a reliable diesel in.....................

2. gunship

gunship Senior Member

why this need for propulsion even if there is no wind? oh well, if you have a solar cell and a wind driven generator, you can have a full charged battery ready for use anytime.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Nono, do´nt get it wrong.

You need a Diesel no matter if there is wind!

Last week we would have been killed without a functioning engine. Strong current between two islands, nasty swell, deadly no wind, a rocky coast with no population, and it is Winter in the Aegean sea!
    Now if there would have been wind from the wrong direction, the situation would not have been much different, too narrow the channel.

On a summer day in the Baltic, a Folkeboot without a engine is really no risk, I agree. When it comes to "real" sailing, that includes adverse weather, you better buy a rope and leave the money for your children, when planning suicide.

Regards
    Richard

4. gunship

gunship Senior Member

i agree completley, but if you want to go completley un-fuel consumig i think that sails are the most viable option hands down. if its unacceptable having an emergency engine, then the only option left is to plan routes with a little care like old times when there wasnt any engines ready to kick in.

PS. you couldnt have anchored or taken another route altogether?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Not a real comparison.

First, one third of the ships in the early days of discovering the world got lost.
    Second, there was absolutely NO traffic on the water. Try to avoid the traffic areas (tracks) on a circumnavigation! Yepp, that would mean stay at port!

It is just a premature idea, to avoid a engine.
    Sorry....

6. gunship

gunship Senior Member

true. then project is toast...

maybe you arrived at that conclusion earlier in the thread? i diddnt bother reading it all...

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Also, in the old days it was not unknown for crew to put a longboat over to tow the ship with a crew of rowers. That was the pre-engine auxiliary method of propulsion.

8. gunship

gunship Senior Member

or row the anchor out and winch it home agian.

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Hard work either way. I'll take the diesel, thank you.

10. gunship

gunship Senior Member

of course, mee to. but the topic author seems (seemed?) inclined to take the hard way.

11. D.I.M.1

D.I.M.1 Junior Member

Wow oh ye of little faith. I never said to remove fuel completely or at least when i learned more. I saying to supplement and slowly replace not go for cold turkey.
    technology is evolving, and all it needs are people willing to put it to use.
    My findings though yes we can't have a practical solar boat. We can start the process of slow integration. I mean people didn't just pick up the ipod they first had to got to concerts>radio>batterystereos>walkmans>Mp3s>then ipods.
    yeah my project is toast from its original idea but renewable energy can still be more integrated into nautical vessels than its current level.

12. D.I.M.1

D.I.M.1 Junior Member

Sorry im working from the bottom up addressing these things but the power generation effectiveness isn't what could be practical for charging a battery in an instant. the reason we can't use sails if for the reason you must map out routes a wind generator for emergency use can pick up wind from any direction and power the engine which can move in any direction.

13. G8R

G8R turd

Well my .5 cent worth; you are going to need some form of energy to go faster then the current, so it’s wind, chemical, or electrical, nuclear is included in electrical as is solar. So you should focus on that and then be as efficient as you can be. Build a base, then build from there; you will get no better education if nothing else.

14. D.I.M.1

D.I.M.1 Junior Member

Guys, I want an opinion on which boat I should use as the template of my design?
    Regretfully, I am no great judge of boats in general and was hoping that you guys could help.
    Or if you know a site could you provide it.

What I'm looking for:
    Type: Practical usage- fishing, transportation, passenger, cargo.
    Size: moderate
    Other needs: Can accommodate a sail or wind turbine (if possible)

Currently I'm considering a catamaran, but for my purposes would a regular hull work better?

sorry for the vague constraints, but I'm a little split focus on the three parts. power generation, the energy storage and allocation, and the boat itself.
    Thanks
    Daniel

15. G8R

G8R turd

Those are all things that you are going to have to decide on.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.