replating steel hull?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by vicgin, Apr 5, 2011.

1. vicgin

vicgin Junior Member

I have never worked metal. Refitted two fbg boats (only an 18 foot and 24 foot). I make no pretense as a boat builder. Backyard type experience only.

Found a freshwater 14x42' single hull houseboat. Hull date - 1964. Asking $20M.

Can steel last this long? Have heard steel oxidizes from the inside. (true?)

Would a boat yard even want the work these days? How much $ would a replate cost me?

Some advice and links is all I am really requesting.

I like the old stump knocker and would retire to it.
    Regards,

2. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Properly maintained, steel can last pretty much forever. Is there a lot of corrosion on the hull? Plate thickness can be checked with non-destructive methods and will tell you how much steel is remaining, but I don't think re-plating is the way to go. If the steel is good, wire brush it and paint it and if it's not, don't buy the boat.

3. Poida

Poida Senior Member

How much is $20M?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  4. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Probably $20,000 USD. I've seen the M = $1000 convention before, but not often.

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Have heard steel oxidizes from the inside. (true?)

Yes indeed...to inspect a steel hull get a bright flashlight and look in the bilges , stem, stern and sheer clamp. . If you see any scale corrosion on the inside of the steel hull skin ....walk away.

steel is cheap and easy to work with...cutting the inside furniture and systems away to gain access to the hull skin to repair the steel cost a FORTUNE.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Get a surveyor that can use a metal thickness tester.

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Perhaps...but for a small craft its an expensive procedure that is not particularly accurate. Ive had a rust bucket steel hull tested and passed, even thou the anchor chain locker stem and plating at waterline level was known to be rotten. Hull plate sounding are best for double skin vessels in which inner skin examination is not possible. Best to physically examine...your eye don't lie. If you see something ...call in a surveyor for a second look.

Im involved with a rudder skeg repair on a metal boat now. A surveyors thickness sounding would not have exposed the corrosion.....only when the bearing shoe was removed did it become visible. The metal work will be cheap and fast to rebuild...the amount of destructive disassembly to gain access to the stern peak will be expensive to rebuild

8. vicgin

vicgin Junior Member

Thanks

A surveyor? Do they mess with craft this small?
    If the boat is still for sale next month, I will inspect as you guys suggest.
    Thanks for the timely replies, gentlemen.
    Regards

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I do, and there are many others that will also.

10. vicgin

vicgin Junior Member

Gonzo,
    I see you are in wisconsin. Boat is in Iowa. Please PM me if you, perhaps, have time in the next 30-45 days to see it.
    regards
    herbert

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.