My first look at Glen-L plans !!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Baldur, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Baldur

Baldur Junior Member

Today I got my first look at a set of Glen-L "Hunky Dory" Plans.
    The plans consist of 3 sheets, 2 showing construction with very few details. The other is a full size drawing showing various frames and parts, which have very few, if any dimensions. No offsets, very few details, no panel dimensions, only vague building instructions. I could probably build from these plans, but what a pain in the neck! :mad:
    WTF! :confused: Is this typical of Glen-L Plans?
    Do other designers have such vague plans also?
    I would like to buy a set of plans with a few more details before embarking on this dory project. Any recommendations ???
    Thanks
    :)

2. fede

fede Senior Member

Hi, I have a set og Glen plans and are like that...but as far as the project I have they seems to be pretty clear.

3. Baldur

Baldur Junior Member

It sure would be nice if a designer would offer plans in 3d Cad format along with the paper plans. I prefer to build with numbers, offsets and scaled prints, and even sometimes right off the computer monitor.
    Full size plans are a joke.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

This is normal for this type of plan.
    The idea is to make it simple for people who haven't built from plans before to build. Stitch-and-glue, usually. The stitch because the panels don't fit tightly enough to just glass. These boats are designed to be built with no lofting, no jigs. They're designed as a first boat for a new builder, something to learn on.
    If you want GOOD plywood-panel, no-jig construction, look at Bolger/Payson boats http://instantboats.com/ , they are very precisely designed despite deceptively simple plans.
    The main reasons designers don't usually give out CAD designs are (a) they don't use CAD at all, or (b) they don't want people to make a 10% change and plaigarize their design.

5. Baldur

Baldur Junior Member

Thanks Matt,
    I dig the Sneakeasy, very unique.

6. fede

fede Senior Member

Actually a couple of Glen boats are rather complex and go beyond the stitch and glue method.

7. Big-A

Big-A Junior Member

i was gonna buy some from him aswell
    the rampage model and build it in aluminum
    but i called first to talk to them and they said the prints were hand drawn
    no good i thought
    no auto cad so i said forget it
    anyone else that has stuff like that around or what

8. Baldur

Baldur Junior Member

What I have decided to do, since this is such a simple dory design, is to measure the full size drawings and convert the drawing to CAD. That way I can check the fit and make changes. :)

9. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hand drawn is not necessarily bad. It's easy to forget that almost any boat built before 1990 was built completely without the benefit of CAD, and many still are today. My current boat was built in my garage from hand-drawn plans. And you will find very few places to buy AutoCAD plans, simply because it is too easy to tweak and resell.

10. boatbuilder.org

boatbuilder.org Junior Member

Plans

That sound about right, but the numbers for bulkhead and panel lofting would be nice. I am assuming the plans are all scaled drawing, if so all the dimensions you need are there.
    ---Joel---

11. Baldur

Baldur Junior Member

Full size (not dimensioned) plans simply make the builder do twice the work for building each part.
    Do you need full size plans to build a bookshelf or table? I hope not.. ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.