My first boat building project! The adventure begins !

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Vulkyn, Sep 25, 2010.

1. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Ooops! somehow I got the idea we were discussing a canoe. Must be my obsession confusing me! For that boat and those conditions you should definitely glass it. It is outside my area of experience to advise further but the notes on Birch still apply. If there is real danger of holing her, buoyancy chambers will get you home . . .

2. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Yah sorry i was going for that then my friend pulled out so im back to OD16 :)

Yah just need feedback in regards to the epoxy situation ! :D

3. bernd1972

bernd1972 Holzwurm

I just sent you a pm with a contact for a good supplier of ep resin and glass fabric that I did business with many times. Just in case you cannot get reasonable stuff locally in Egypt. Fell free to ask if you have problems with his (german) website or need advice on adequate systems or send him an email and ask him for possible resin/hardener combination (i would suggest a fairly slow hardener for the temperatures down there).

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Birch is not very resistant to decay at all, even worse than the pines, or at least most of the pines. There are a rare few instances where I'd recommend a Doug fir product but its a common ply material and it has better decay resistance than Birch, which isn't saying much. Thats assuming your only considering rot resistance, checking is an issue with Dougy as is splintering and poor finishing characteristics.

best of luck
    B

5. AhoySailor

AhoySailor New Member

How far along are you?

Vulkyn -

How far along are you as you posted this 9/10?

I'd love to see pics!! :p

6. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

7. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Much appreciated bernd ! THX :D

8. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Right !!! Squeezed my brain cells for some much needed comparison for epoxy basic properties, although there is a lot more this at least gave me an idea where i should be headed. I unified all to Kg/cm2.

Now its very clear that the CMB solution is not an option at all. It seems that dow's 331 is as close to the properties at it gets.
    PEC has unusual tensile elasticity as compared to others but since i opted to use west as the bench mark 331 is in the normal range.

Now if there are more properties any one know i should be aware off please pass it on !

Attached Files:

9. Vulkyn

Vulkyn Senior Member

Again another snag, DOW can only get me a container full (thats well over 17 tons of epoxy !!!!!!) and they do not provide curing agents either ...

So back to square one with an epoxy solutions "sigh"

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.