My favourite Women friendly design features

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wilma Ham, May 13, 2007.

1. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

My favourite Woman friendly....

I shall back out of this conversation, having only experienced working boats. Weekend cruisers and marina moochers are something of a mystery to me. But perhaps I'm too uncouth to be invited aboard.

I would suggest that if a lifting keel proves 'space' consuming - then you might consider bilge keels. As for retaining balance in the galley - my cook used a waist harness clipped to strategically placed grab-rails and eyes. He never once spilled the soup - even in a force eight.

2. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

Thank you Alan for your reply and yes a beamy boat with a lifting keel leaves enough room for work places on either side.
    If used well the lifting keel and mast don't have to be such in the way objects. On Crusoe the galley was on one side of the keel and a cabin was on the other. Worked well.

Interesting Bergalia that you say you know about working boats. John has worked on a fishing boat and he says that I should look at how fishing boats are laid out. They are usually very practical and they all have a pilot house from which they steer. The problem is my access to working boats here in Auckland is limited.
    I got to look at a recently renovated navy vessel though, very interesting. Unfortunately it was still part of the navy and I wasn't allowed to take photos. My hands were itching though to move some things around. There was so much space and not much decorating taste in that boat.

3. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

PS John is not interested in marina sitting or harbour sailing either. He wants to go places.

4. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

In my opinion this should be first in design criteria, before in deep talking about room inside. Where and how, do you want to go? How far away? What kind of seas and weather? Do you have plenty of time? Will you be in a hurry? How many crew? What's the longest expected sailing distance? etc, etc, etc.
    A cruising boat is always a compromise, but safety, seaworthiness, seakeeping abilities and seakindliness should be always first. Then comfort.
    Cheers.

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

All good questions. There's someone missing from the conversation in any case.
    There are beamy boats with very commodious accomodations. The Roberts Spray series for example. It goes without saying that the Spray's lines are proven. Relatively shallow draft as well, and designed for steel, which is buildable in aluminum (plans for aluminum might be available).
    There are already a lot of pilothouse variations, at many lengths. I would think the original 38 ft or a bit bigger would be ideal for what's wanted, excepting the lifting keel, but bilge keels would knock off some draft.

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Then I apologise Wilma.

A couple of photos below will demonstrate that my 'boys' would care little for galley design - as long as the meal was hot. On the left the late Calum Alasdair Chaluim (drowned off Stornoway) and the apprentice Tormod a’ Chàimein (now has his own boat out of Inverbervie).
    The second picture will show that we had little space for sunbathing on deck. Sorry about quality - bit rough at the time.

Attached Files:

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Berg now dont be modest, tell all about the ironing board that you have designed for women at sea.

This is so impressives------

8. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

the best galley I ever saw was on a Pharoe Is longliner that two of my mates delivered to NZ they had this HUGE gimballed pot, like about 30 gals cap, which was really magnifique

working men appreciate a galley, on chippy T the tug I served on in North Sea the galley was side to side huge ss walk in freezers, full of steak, and steak and steak and, well you get the pic, it was left up to me to catch the 3 foot long cod, to supplement our diet As the Ekofisk field was a no trawl zone it was easy to catch these fish

9. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

ok well back on topic
    I would like a whole section as a heads compartment, like abt 6 feet long by the width of the boat just aft of the forepeak on a 38 footer, yes I know the foul weather gear would needs be dragged all the way through saloon area But I hate pokey heads areas, this area could be sectioned with a retractable mylar curtain, which I have done before, thereby keeping the other sections dry when showering
    there would be big cupboards for stowage, esp for my makeup! :))
    another idea I used was a 16 inch diametre heavy wall length of farm drainage pipe for a chain locker,(plastic type) this idea worked so well, was quiet and reqd nil maintenance.
    wotch this space!!

10. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

Great photos Bergalia, what a life, awesome and yes Stuart, I know some of those galleys on working boats are amazing.

To answer some questions, a live aboard boat is not a racer, we cruise in the true sense of the word and we would like to go from the tropics to Alaska on whatever seas we encounter. It must be an ocean going vessel, practical and with a clever interior using available new technology such as watermakers, washing machines and yes irons. :p

I know there are restrictions, this big roomy saloon proved a hazard on this trip and became soon looking like the other photo. I loved my little bunk tucked away in the wall and next to the hull to hear the ocean stream by. A far cry from an island bed but it served me well on this boat. Great fun on holiday, not to live on.

By the way, what is wrong with an ironboard???:rolleyes:
    I don't get you, guys!:confused:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Wilma, those pictures look like the function room of a large hotel before and after a Greek wedding. You could fit a whole dry cleaning shop into that space and have room left over for a boutique.

12. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

[​IMG]

What about this little beauty, fits perfect on the chart table:p
    PS if you order one I won't tell anybody :eek:

Great idea to have a head compartment aft of the forepeak as those areas are usualy not that useful. I would like a straight piece of wall at the end of the fore cabin and then the rest of the forepeak used by hatches in deck. However the beauty of a pilot house is that you hardly ever wear wet weather gear, so that problem is solved.
    I love ideas of using material in a different way that it is designed for, using drain pipes as a chain locker, I imagine the noise will be minimal.

The phtos are of the old french pilot cutter I sailed on in December, huge and very inpractical. Just to show you that I know what inpractical is.

Attached Files:

13. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Ironing boards are only acceptable if they have a dual purpose....That's me in the middle in one of my more frivolous moments.....:mad:

Attached Files:

14. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Attached Files:

15. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

Looks like we are in good company after all.
    I love those ironing boards, men will they be handy to iron sheets. Throw out those little ones, why didn't I think of that.
    No kitchen bench required either. Go surfing, come home, iron your pretty clothes and the table cloth. Then make the banquet on them, serve the dinner get seated, voila.
    Berg, you are a genius! You have the mind (and sometimes the figure) of a woman, I knew it!