My favourite Women friendly design features

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wilma Ham, May 13, 2007.

1. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

google up greens Wilma, they are the worlds undisputed leaders in Carbon Fibre and other sticky stuff boats, take a look at the volvo race boat there abbs abloy or whatever she was called, the dwg is on its way
    if you cant find the site I will try agin
    the boys teaseme abt my spellin but when you can speak 12 languages I ferget:))

Stu

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Marina living is fine. I think there're lots of little ideas that are useful and enhance comfort offshore or coasting, but they are little things. I also thought (regarding chart tables doubling as work or eating tables) about food getting into charts, tools being moved, comprimises in layout of instruments, etc. Take the dining table instead. It likes food.
    I always eat simple meals aboard. It really great just to have a burner, an ice box, and a sink with water supply and drain. Amazing really. You have everything, plus a comfortable berth. You feel like e king.

3. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

Wait a minute guys. I am not compromising any safety here but I am aware that that are things that can be done beter in the interior if the time is left over from looking after the safety etc first.
    I leave looking at the safety to you people, and I look after the comforts without throwing the safety baby (yeah Bergalia is still fertelising this thread :) ) away with the bathwater.

No, I won't spill stuff on the charts as in port there won't be charts on the table and when we sailing I won't be so extensively cooking paella so that I need a bench space of that size, Guillermo.
    It is making the most of space when you need it ;) and that is in the galley in port when lying reasonably still. That is when i want a life, in port when entertaining alll those lovely visitors. During sailing I am aware I won't have a life.:( and I will cook as minimalistic as possible.
    By the way John's charts are well used and full of spills and still very usable.
    Why be so precious about things you are using. A little spill won'[​IMG]t have to make the chart unreadable.

Having to work in this mess is not very safe either. A bit of spill on a chart would be preferred above this mess. Sorry about the double photo, don't know how to delete it.

Attached Files:

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

I dont agree so much, I like to cook and I like to put effort into it, when available I make lotsa salads, and lotsa fish
    When i cook for a crowd I like EVERYTHING to be on hand, spices , all the things necessary to cook anything
    i like a decent wine rack and all my boats have one or two built in
    i dont beleive a woman should be left to do the cooking
    Yes if I,ve spend the day lifting the fuel pump off the diesel, or up the mast and I,m too tired to cook, then I won;t
    Also I am like most cooks, I can't be bothered cooking for just me,
    I have some darn good cookbooks and it takes very little more effort to cook a tasty meal that to boil up a load of mush
    The secret of cooking whilst at sea, is speed, tasty stews requiring no attention, big deep pots, big deeep sinks
    Good vin rouge, good white is impossible to get without paying lots, at the moment, we have a glut of GREEN wines, chards, sav blancs, not worth a cracker
    Sorry to get orf topic

5. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

The problem is spills tend to go INTO the chart table through gaps.

Well, I think Saint John deserves a place in shrines....:D
    On my side, I would not tolerate that little respect for paper charts in my boat....;)
    Amazingly, you talk about John's charts and your kitchen.....:rolleyes:
    To delete the extra photo just edit post, 'go advanced' and then 'manage attachements'.

Cheers.

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

See? Right there! I don't know how many times I've been unable to make out a depth figure because of a smudge or a crease.
    During sailing you won't have a life? Aw Wilma! What is life?
    Any case, to entertain when in port, you have to have the capacity to do it, and that means a setup that takes space. It's like one of those shifting tile puzzles I remember they used to have when I was a kid. You must rob Peter to pay Paul.
    This approach I don't understand. Where is your interior plan for your particular boat? As far as ideas go, everything's been done, or nearly. The challenge is to improve a particular boat. I assume that's your boat, or is there something more insidious going on here?
    Would you be willing to undergo hypnosis?
    No, they never are.

7. Guillermo

My hat is off to you, Stu! :) :) :) :)

Attached Files:

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

My favourite Women....

I told you guys right from the start...It's unlucky to let women on board...:(

9. alan white

alan white Senior Member

That's it. I'm gonna get drunk.

10. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

My favourite Women....

OK - but don't throw up on the chart table....:mad:

"Oh my God...we've just run aground on some chopped carrot....":D

11. Guillermo

I think that's not correct Max. Old sailors' aboard misogyny should be kept out of these pages. Let's behave.
    Hi, Wilma! Still afloat after all the cannon fire? :)

12. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Yes, Wilma has obviously had a couple of boys, and I for one admire her fortitude, the product, no doubt, of years of practice under the most grueling conditions imaginable.
    I'm not sure what exactly is going to be helpful here. I had asked if Wilma had a particular interior in mind, as it's so much easier to look at what is there, and listen to what she doesn't like. Then what changes can be made would be applicable to a real-life situation. It is so much more effective to talk about a given set of parameters, and go from there. Anything that might cross-apply would be a bonus.

13. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

What John and I are thinking about at the moment is an alumium beamy boat of around 42 ft. The beam is to give it space inside as it is a live aboard boat.
    Aluminium because it requires no painting. We like a shallow draft, preferrably achieved by lifting keel, to access lagoons and other interesting places. John had a very shallow boat before and loved it.
    The length is so it can be handled by two people and is not overly excessive.
    We insist on a pilot house; we have met enough cruisers with pilot houses who made total sense to us when they were talking about the advantages.
    I want two cabins, each with their own head and shower. Cruisers who have accomodated other couples aboard for longer periods did find that the privacy of own showers etc did add to the ease of living together.

At the moment on this thread I am looking at playing with interior ideas. Westlawn on one of his thread talked about a circulair galley. That was fun and it is just something to think about. Not to straight away do on a boat but it did deal with the question what to do with the mast. I thought it was thought provoking.

I have seen boats whose interior were not making the most of the space and I have seen great solutions. I want to share great or good solutions, it might change a certain feature to something really practical that becomes standard until something else comes along.

With the internet I can reach a lot of people to share ideas with, to get feedback and see if other people can come up with examples as the airing cupboard on this thread.

And I just love thinking about boats. They are the most complicated beasts you can come up with and mostly designed by men. I like a challenge. I like to give my perspective on things which can be different to stir the pot and I like to have a great boat interior.

14. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

Hi Guillermo, however just alive and not just fired at by cannons.

15. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Thanks Wilma,

That answered my question. I am now wondering if you are looking to have a boat built or to modify one. In any case, I'll assume build.
    I imagine a boat with a 15-16 ft beam. You've got footroom of perhaps 10 ft across at the widest.
    A lifting keel usually means an island in the middle, and also means a wide sole because the bottom will be flatter than an average full keel boat. The great thing about this great width of usable floorspace is that the entire galley can go to one side between the lifting keel case and the outer hull. With 6 1/2 -7 ft, you can have two counters facing each other with an aisle in between. The other side of the boat allows the main aisle to be towards the centerline with an eating area to the outside of that.
    This all takes a pretty wide boat, but it is close to ideal.
    I like to doodle designs, and I usually consider structure that carries across at regular intervals. These make either bulkheads (walls) or partial bulkheads (semi-walls).
    An interval of 6-8 ft is a good supposition, and within one space created by such a segment, the galley and eating area could lie on opposite sides. At 7 ft length, the settee area can double as a single-double berth if U-shaped and filled in with a filler block to make the double.
    All this allows two ways forward either side of lifting keel case. Maybe a 9' minimum sole width is required to pull it off.