My favourite Women friendly design features

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wilma Ham, May 13, 2007.

1. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

My favourite Women....

Stone me Alan....Well spotted....:D

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Yeah, actually, I saw something days ago. There was a picture of a yacht interior, a sink cabinet--- and something didn't look right. I used a special zoom feature I downloaded and sure enough! There was a scaly snout visible--- you could just make it out through a gap in the cabinetry. Then the reference to "bed" rather than berth. Ever heard or berthrock? No, me neither.

3. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

Haha, shame your name is not Barney, Alan!

4. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

As I said before I find it important to look how useful a space, bench or piece of furntiture is. Below is also a good example of boawulf's pilot house and the long seats on which you can stretch your legs. The rail between the two seats are great as well to brace your feet against. Most of the time people want to stretch their legs onto the seat and most seats on boats are not long enough to do that. So those BERTHS that FRED showed have the thumbs up big time.

The photo of the galley and chart table is a fine example of what I talked about when I wanted the chart table close to the galley. It is a shame to have all that space laying idle once in port.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Betty and Barney Hill were abducted by aliens in Southern New Hampshire not far from here in 1962 or thereabouts. Under hypnosis, they revealed a tale as unbelievable as it was terrifying. They had been taken aboard a saucer-shaped craft and medically examined before being released without any memory of what had taken place.
    Only under repeated hypnosis did the strange occurences of that night emerge. To this day, no one has conclusively proven one way or another whether the Hills had been lying, mistaken, or simply telling the truth.

I ask this in all seriousness, Wilma: Where have you and Fast Fred been over the last few days, and why are two so unwilling to talk about those missing hours?
    This isn't a kid's show any more. This is real, as real as it gets.

Thanks, Alan

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

My favourite Women....

Ah ha, Alan...that could explain Wilma's 'redesigned interior.....' :)

7. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

Thank you Alan, that is very interesting information :rolleyes:.
    Do you also know something about boats? :confused:

And boys, do you know that there is a very interesting thread called pirates on this forum, worth a look you two! :idea: :D

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Mt favourite

Boats ? Did the woman say Boats, Alan...Grief...Don't tell me we've wandered off the 'House and Garden' forum....:(

9. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

Hahahaha, unfortunately I must admit that that is funny. Luckily my kids have grown up so I do have some patience left over for you lot.

10. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

PS that chart table configuration is the first and only one I have found that I think is great if someone still wants a chart and a table.

11. colinstone

colinstone Junior Member

12. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Yes, I know some things. I would need to see blueprints, intended use/expectations, crew size, and budget.
    Boats cannot be reinvented. They can be personally customized to a certain small extent, but short of simply buying a very large vessel, each boat tends to design itself by demanding comprimises based on a hierarchal list of priorities.
    It is obvious that first and foremost, the boat must keep its crew alive. Secondly, it must be capable of travel under control under all conditions.
    Third, it must do the above sustainably, week after week, and sometimes month after month.
    Fourth, it must be designed to do all of the above single-handed if necessary.
    Fifth, it should be a nice place to live for extended periods of time.
    In that order.
    It goes without saying that a berth is as long as it can be unless it conflicts with any of the basic priorities. The galley is relatively unimportant to all but the last on the list, and that generally means it will design itself with what is left after all other priorities have been met.
    It is impossible to simply add a feature to a boat without upending the basic priorities a little or a lot, so nothing is gained in comfort if you are sinking or lost, for example, from a handy bookshelf that edged out the handier fire extinguisher you couldn't grab in time.
    There are ways to improve any boat. That said, the best bavel architects in the world, working independantly from the same hull and rig design, will usually come up with very similar comfort levels.
    I would suggest you read Dave Gerr's "The Nature of Boats" as a primer on intelligent boat design.
    A boat is a machine first, a very sophisticated organic gestalt of engineering.
    A machine can be made comfortable, but it must first be a machine, and if the machine is tampered with, it will more likely fail.
    I don't know if a boat could be made any more woman-friendly without getting bigger. Instead, women must adjust to the realities of the sea, lest they risk upsetting an established balance---- not between men and women, but between humans and nature.

13. alan white

alan white Senior Member

"I knew a man who had a canoe and he had more girls than you could shake a stick at"

Groucho Marx

14. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

I'm not sure if I like that chart-kitchen table configuration (I asume you're meaning the possibility of using the chart table as a kitchen extension when at port), as the possibility of 'kitchen accidents' spoiling all your paper charts is very high. I rather prefer navigation table (no just chart table) being well away from kitchen, if possible.

15. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Although agreeing with you, I'm afraid priorities list are not like that any more, except for a very few. Fifth has come first. Just visit any boatshow. :(

Cheers.