My favourite Women friendly design features

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wilma Ham, May 13, 2007.

1. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

Time flies but I have been looking at boats and I am now gathering favourite design features of boats I visit, see on websites and at boat shows. The blessed digital camera allows me to make pictures of the things I like. Now the challange is to get those pictures into cyberspace and onto this post.

I start with this kitchen bench.
    I love the lay out of what they originally called a galley kitchen. The long bench along the wall and its width and length is an absolute winner. The bench allows enough room to pass a person who is working at the bench and the width allows you to spread things out in the large area in front of you.
    The wall behind is a great support when heeling.
    I will never want a small narrow bench in my life again and at home we have applied the same principle by installing a 750mm wide bench and it makes a difference to the workspace I now have.
    The length of this bench allows several people to comfortably work alongside each other, which means you don't have to do all the work on your own.
    I also love the fact that there is no lid in the main work area for a fridge/ freezer. The fridge is a normal front opening one situated underneath the bench.
    I would sacrifice space elsewhere to have a great bench like this on a smaller boat. It also works as a large work space when you need to fold out big things such as charts. This will work as the kitchen is close to the pilot house.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

and how do you work (behind ) this bench in a seaway with the boat on its ear Wilma:}} here is a galley you cant fall out of and a cold system you can fall into, on my last build,

Attached Files:

3. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

As the wall behind wasn't too far from the bench you could wedge yourself in reasonably well. However the photo is from a boat for tall people and for lots of entertaining.
    Yours is a wonderful galley too, beautifully laid out. Great work area opposite the sink. I love the fridge.
    My questions would be.
    Do I see steps going up to the sittng area?
    How many people does this kitchen accommodate?
    What are the lids for next to the stove and cooktop? or are they cutting boards. I love the spice rack above the cooktop, right where you need them without a door which is great too.

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

AH my apoloegies I didnot see the wall behind!!! sorry
    but the food looks great, if I bring a cray can i come to dinner:))

5. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

You can bring a cray, even without bringing anything you are welcome.

Here are some other innovative galley benches.
    I do like space around benches so you can reach from either side and people can work from both sides.
    The other great thing about these layouts is the accessiblity of the chart table as an overflow from the kitchen if you are in port. In port you will have people visiting your boat and then you need lots of space to prepare food and to dish it out.
    While sailing I don't need that much bench space and the chart table can be used for charts again.
    I also love the windows that pour light into the kitchen. No dungeon feeling in these ones

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

6. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

i spose the galley would keep 4 out of each others way, we used a piece of some sort of matting, rubberised on the sole to stop sliding at sea, and yes the tops are corian , with corian boards
    the refridge was very good, and only runs one hour a day , to minus 24,
    i built that boat on spec, which was a either brave or foolhardy, for the N/A market You COULD do an article on WOMANS Galleys!!
    yes 3 steps to up, to deck salon, the boat is in my gallery Are you in NZ?

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

we used a piece of some sort of matting, rubberised on the sole to stop sliding at sea,

Other choices include building the cabin sole the proper seagoing way , the Holly stands proud an 1/8 of an inch as no skid,

or simply using bowling alley or gymnasium varnish on the sole as its not slipery when wet.

FF

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

My favorite woman friendly design element, is one I incorporate in most small boats. This is the sit down head, with no standing headroom available, even the bravest of men will be forced to sit, where their aim has a considerable increase in accuracy. Any live aboard will atest to this design requirement.

9. Windvang

Windvang Yacht Designer

I think sunbathing space and sheltered space on deck, away from ropes, blocks and winches, is far more important than the galley! Next is good stability and a good head and bathroom. Then a nice view from the saloon and maybe after that the galley.

Even then they don't care how seaworthy the galley is, when things get rough I am the one who is sent below to make the spaghetti or the sandwiches, and I suspect so are most of you! :p

Attached Files:

10. Vega

Vega Senior Member

:p :p :p :p

11. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

Right, all this will keep me on my toes.
    First, yes I live in New Zealand. Great country, beautiful coast, windy cold boating weather though.
    I have done a page on what I like in galleys and it is on my website and this is the link http://www.lifestyle-sailing.com/wa.asp?idWebPage=20897&idDetails=175

My answer is if the galley is good you men don't have to do the cooking, I would like to be in the kitchen. On Steadfast John was quite welcome to do the cooking as were the other men. [​IMG]

Can men not sit down when there is headroom? :confused: I just could make a clear request when men come aboard. I am not afraid to talk to you when you come onboard and explain a few rules. :idea:
    We women do more on the toilet then just pee, have you ever changed a tampon with no headroom? I don't want to be rude but this is what it means to think about what women want and this is what is to be considered to make a boat women friendly. ;) ;) ;) ;)

I have also made an article about deckspace but it is not on the website yet. It will come as I totally agree that enough space on deck is lovley and neccessary to enjoy the outdoors.
    [​IMG]
    I will put the link in once the article is up.

Now I have to go to my galley and prepare food.

Wilma

Attached Files:

12. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

I think at sea this was our most popular ablutions block!! But agree with Windvang, a big airy head and shower is great to have at anchor, but so then is a galley
    a hot shower on th transom is a must, saves getting salt below after a swim
    I apologise for posting this photo again, but I really am proud of this feature, all the dive gear stowed aft, and even an 80 year old could climb the steps that lowered to the sea
    i know we are talking smaller yachts and not into realm of superyachts,

Attached Files:

13. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

Lazy jack I had a look at your gallery, thanks for pointing that out to me. I think the back of Nimbus is a dream come true. I don't think any new boat should be without it, how small.
    You know, my biggest issue is always how to get on and off the boats.
    I visited an old kauri boat 2 years ago and I had to climb from the pier via the ropes onto the boat. The whole visit I was thinking how to get off the boat again, aweful.
    A hot shower on the back is also wonderful and I do agree it keeps the salt of the boat.
    So you can imagine your solution is bliss.

Crusoe, the example on the website also has a great swim platform and we did use it a lot. A place like that adds enormously to how women will enjoy cruising.

[​IMG][/QUOTE][/IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  14. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

My favourite women friendly design...

I'm of the old school Wilma which believes there is no place for women aboard ship (it's a scientifically proven fact that they're bad luck; and their whistling causes storms at sea...) However, just for you, I've included a picture of my own galley....:)

Attached Files:

15. Wilma Ham

Wilma Ham Senior Member

If you look anything like the picture next to your name you might get away with a galley like that, however to me it looks more like a nappy bucket.