My Dingy Is A Piece Of Crap- Help!

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ecflyer, Nov 16, 2009.

1. elmer fudd

elmer fudd New Member

I'd probably look on Craigslist for a used inflatable. They go fast, are extremely seaworthy, can be deflated for compact storage and they won't scratch up your boat. Look around and you can probably find an 8 or 9 footer for under $300. Their only real drawback is that you have to use a little caution landing them and dragging them up the beach. If your kicker can double as the motor then that's one less problem.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The only real trouble with inflatables is they get stolen.

3. elmer fudd

elmer fudd New Member

Those are often the ones sold without floors. The floorboards were stored somewhere else when the thief swiped the boat.

4. jimm

jimm designer MID

Chuck, I like the hull form and sheer, The hull extension is smart. It gives you a lot longer running surface. (I planed to do a similar thing on the shorter version so it would plane like my 8' only have them pivot up out of the way. You just have shown me fixed is good. Thank you.) I also would imagine with the high free board and clean bow entry she does well in a chop.

5. Chuck Losness

Chuck Losness Senior Member

The dinghy does excellent in a chop. It has to be really nasty before I get any spray on board. I used to get soaked in my previous RIB inflatable in any wind and chop. Insetting the transom on an 8' dinghy would leave you with at most a two person boat. I would buy Sam's guppy design and do what I did. I am sure that Sam would alter the plans for you if you don't feel capable of doing it yourself. Go luck
    Chuck
    SV Hale Moana

6. jimm

jimm designer MID

Thanks Chuck, I like the 8' because people can enter safely from the bow and she rows easy and trails excellent under tow. she runs well in a chop with 2 or 3 adults. 4 adults in flat water. With the motor off she is self bailing at a mooring. Pretty much all I need for now.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.