what do you think about this?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Gades, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Hi again,
    I wanted to post some pictures from a project I was doing at University last year. But all I found is the Power Point Presentation, so I won't post it at the Student Gallery, but here.

I hope you like it. The images are not very good quality, because I didn't render them with a proper rendering software (only CAD), and they shrinked (sp?) a bit to fit in the presentation pages.

Though I don't know if it'll work because the zip file is about 1 meg.

Attached Files:

2. Gades

Gades Senior Member

any comments from the people who have downloaded it?

3. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

Hi again Fernando

I had a look at the powerpoint pics, to me it looks a bit chubby, the proportions don't seem right to me. It looks kind of "fat".

In some angles it looks as if the surfaces arent bonded properly, this might just be rendering problems but I thought I'd let you know.

I'd lower the freeboard height and probably have a slimmer hull to get a slicker profile and if needed I'd raise the "cabin" (I can't find the proper word at the moment) to get better headroom if needed.

Did you do any interiors? Whats the data an the boat, what will it be used for?

I don't dare to show my work to anyone yet, I'd get shredded! lol :)

Erik

4. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Thanks for the comments Erik.

It's a 45 footer for the Mediterranean. Not a racer one.

I'm attaching a dwg zipped file. It contains some more details (2D though), with the lines included. That should give you a better idea.

There are a couple of mistakes in the drawing though, like the engine/propeller you see, it's not the appropiate one (I just couldn't get the proper drawings so I used those).

About the bonded surfaces: you're right, it looks like they're not bonded properly. But they are. If you'd see the dwg file, you'd appreciate it. But, once you render it, you loose a lot (unless you use a proper rendering program, like 3D Studio). Anyway, I think it's worth to look at the 3D views, to have a better idea of it. If you were going to judge at the hull shape, then you'd better look at the Maxsurf file itself. Then you'll see all the convexity and so on.

So, I hope I get some more comments from you with this file:

Attached Files:

5. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

Fernando

I looked at the dwg file and I still dont really like the incredible high topsides. A 45 footer with a more normal "cabin" (is this the word for it? pls tell me) would giva a lot nicer look IMHO. From the file I dont see the need for it, all the walkways are well inside the normal width of a "cabin" (sheez) and the only reason I can see for having it your way would be to give a better sunbathing deck.

I understand it's not supposed to be a racer but I like even bluewater cruisers with speed and good looks too. I'd never ever go to Sunsail et.al. and sail on a slow boat, but that's just me.

All for now, do you have any more recent projects?

Erik

6. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Aha... OK, now I understand what you mean. Sorry but the boat was supposed to have a large (not really the word neither) sunbathing deck. The clients are supposed to be a couple, in their forties-fifties, who will like to sail from "cala to cala" (that's the little beaches around Mallorca, accesible by boat only), and stay long times on deck. Either reading or sunbathing, talking, etc... So the boat it's not supposed to be a fast one, but more of a comfy (and safe as well) one. Downstairs there should be enough room to invite another couple, having intimace as well.

Right now I'm working on the lines of the 60 footer. It should be a fast boat, with simple interiors and deck. If you want I can send you some files by mail (maxsurf and CAD files). Though they change everyday, several times. I'm just playing with some hull variations, and running the stability calculations, with some VPP (from Maxsurf only), to see the difference between one and another hull (variations of the 60 footer I mean).

What about you?

Also, thanks for having a look at the CAD file as well.

7. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

Well I'm working on my 10 meter project and also (concept only at this stage) on a smaller 26 footer.

The 10 m is a cruiser/racer (not a racer/cruiser :)). Meaning it's a fast cruiser for those who like speed and racing, but mostly use their boats for cruising (incidentally just like I do). Interior space should be sufficient for racing as well as crusing with a midsized family (ie mine 2+2).
    Affordability being a very important thing the rigging and sails are to be pretty simple, a big main, a selftacking jib and a gennaker (spinnaker would be an option). Light weght is also important to get the speed without the cost.I'm considering using a C•Wing rig on it. I'm not shure whether the reduced weght and simplified rig justifies the increased cost compared to a normal rig but I like it a lot.
    To reduce weight all structure including the hull (over the waterline) are of sandwich construction except some smaller interior details (like drawers and bookshelves) and areas where sandwich is simply to impractical construtionwise. Teak or mahogany veneer could be applied to bulkheads, lockers and so on but for now i pretty much like it the "racing style" with just wooden trims and wooden detailing.

If it could be pressed into my affordable boat I'd like it to be built with Vinylester and Aramid, I'm sure this is not a suitable way to build an affordable boat so I just might change it to multiaxial glass to go with the vinylester.

As I'm still learning while doing progress is pretty slow so I have no complete images/drawings to show as yet, but there will be.

If you have any commnts just shoot :D

Erik

8. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

C•Wing image

Fernando

Here's a quick sketch of the C•Wing on an earlier sketch for my ten meter yacht. What do you think?

Attached Files:

9. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Erik,

I've been looking to the link for the rig you like. You described your boat as a cruiser/racer (not a racer/cruiser); well, I think that's a smart thing. But I don't really see that type of rig in a cruiser boat. I guess I don't know enough about it, but I'd prefer to see that rig either in a small fast boat, or an Open type (either bir or small). I think that the calculations would need to be quite accurate; and I don't see how they want to make it cheap. It does look really nice, though.

a friend of me is doing his final project (Naval Architecture as well), it's the design of a Mini Transat. I'll ask him to have a look and give you his opinion. He's much more than I am into all the racing stuff ;)

So, you're planning to build it yourself?

Why did you choose the vertical bow? (I'm just wondering about the reasons you choose)

I'll try to write some more later, now I'm going back to my interiors :eek:

10. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

Fernando

Even though it's not primarily a racer it is a cruiser/racer with the emphasis on speed and enjoyable sailing rather than luxury comfort.

I know it's quite likely that the C•wing is to costly to put on a boat like this and still have it affordable, but on the other hand you get the benefits of fast, simple and enjoyable sailing.

Unfortunately the rig puts some special demands in the construction of the hull for the C•wing rig so I dont think it's economical to have two versions, one w. the C•wing and one with a conventional B&R rig.

Regarding the vertical bow, it's not as vertical on the current hulldesign as it is on the sketch, but long waterlines promote speed and I'm a speed junkie :)
    Also I do like the look of vertical or almost vertical bows, to me they look racey.

Regarding building it, well hopefully I'll build it, but as always it's all a matter of money. OTOH this particular boat will never be a standard productionboat here in Sweden 'cause we dont have any production builders interrested in building affordable boats here. So if it will be done I'll have to do it or set up a shop in Poland or Latvia perhaps.

Erik

11. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Erik,
    I agree with the cost of that type of rig, it looks like it could be too much for your case.
    About being a bit of a racer, that would definetly help you with the interiors. I mean, your wife won't ask too much out of it ;) So you do save on that :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.