smaller scale stern trawl shrimper

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by PalmerM, Mar 3, 2012.

1. PalmerM

PalmerM New Member

Hello everyone. Im new to this site. I enjoyed learning from all the experienced and knowledge experts here.

I would like to some small scale commercial shrimping off the georgia coast this year. I don't want to buy an outdated inefficient large old shrimp boat that breaks even( if your luck) after you pay for the fuel. So I am trying to plan a 26 -30 ft by 9 to 12 ft wide bodied boat capable of pulling a 30 to 50ft net. The one minor detail here is, I am a fisherman not a boat designer. I am relatively mechanically inclined.

So is this within the realm of possibility? 4 or 6 cyclinder diesel with gear reduction? outboards? Any recommendations on hull designs or great older hull to look for?

Thanks
    Mark

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is possible. However, if an old shrimper can only break even, a new build will run at a loss. Technically there are no great challenges. Economically it seems like a losing proposition.

3. PalmerM

PalmerM New Member

ideally it would be used as a charter boat for about six fisherman in the off season just running a few miles offshore to nearby wrecks with the shrimp trawl frame work set off. I am not planning to build a brand new boat here. Just convert an older hull or work boat.
    Can I get enough, what is the term Bolliard tow pullin force say 1000lbs out a four cyclinder disel, trans, prop selection?

Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.