MX Next-new dinghy design

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Aug 18, 2012.

1. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

2. Andy

Andy Senior Member

I wonder whether the big wetted surface increase from sailing through the waves is more than offset by the steadier airflow they claim. Marstrom say no in the case of the M32, and the canoes don't seem to plough through the waves either. Those waves are tiddlers too - maybe 1 or 1.5 feet. I was out filming racing in waves twice that size at the weekend and the Musto Skiffs took it fine, in fact it looked a lot easier than the MX. The Hoot also looks like a better hiking width and seems to deal with waves pretty well. They put their conservative top speed at 15 knots - again I think a Musto or an RS700 would top that and (at least the 700) be a lot easier to sail too. The Mustos would be a handful in thise conditions with the kite but doable. I wonder why they didn't try the kite. How much for an MX Next anyways?

3. idkfa

idkfa Senior Member

Is the camera moving towards the MX then panning?

4. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

That's what it looks like to me, the photoboat is going towards the MX

I do find it strange that despite (maybe because of) all the money put into the boat they don't have a handheld gps on board to check the speed

Richard Woods

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

MX Next

========================
    How do you know they don't??

6. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

From SA "Top speeds? Hard to tell because no one had a GPS"

not even in the support boat running alongside???

Richard Woods

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

----------------
    That is amazing but sure as hell stretches credulity-if it was my boat I'd have a speed puck(which I do) or a gotou gps tracker(which I do).

8. motorbike

motorbike Senior Member

What strikes me apart from the unusual appearance, reversed bow and wings etc is how ordinary it looks sailing. It did not look particularly fast in those conditions, no different to any planing dinghy. So whats meant to be the advantage of this boat? If speed is king then a windsurfer would be way faster and arguably more fun with big sweeping gybes. Having sailed dinghies with solid wings, they are a pita in chop as they often catch and slow the boat. Perhaps a trapeze would be an improvement and given the trend to foiling and the likely market for this boat, I think it could sport a pair quite nicely

9. Vlad M

Vlad M Senior Member

What money Richard? Have you counted?

10. Vlad M

Vlad M Senior Member

The glass is always half empty...

Earlier posts here relished the idea that all those unusual features wouldn't work. After we proved everybody wrong, now it's "how ordinary it looks sailing"...

Ordinary? Really?

I haven't noticed somehow that every other boat sailing out there looks exactly like mxNext. Actually, in a few years they certainly will.

When almost twenty years ago I came up with the mx-Ray concept, everybody were sure it looks crazy and would never work. Then eventually the likes of Musto and RS followed the suite and all single-handed skiffs started looking a bit like my mx-Ray.

Give it a few years and many new designs will resemble mxNext as well.

11. Vlad M

Vlad M Senior Member

Here's a great quote for this forum:

"It's easier to resent a good idea than to embrace it - especially if it's not your own. That's human nature.

"Many people want to be the first to come up with a winning concept. So when they see something really new, they get defensive. They wonder, 'Why didn't I think of that?' and then use their excuses and self-justifications to attack the idea".

Mark H. McCormack

12. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

Unfortunate fact of life: if you want your audience to be impressed, you have to show them something impressive.

People are ******** like that. :)

Put the thing up against some of its competition, and demonstrate it is superior. That will work.

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

================
    Probably not: there is a "bent" among anonymous internet posters here and especially on SA(and a few"normal" posters) to always create a negative about a new product or development. They know no one can really criticize them because, afterall, they are anonymous and can make all kinds of uninformed , silly comments about the new product without any consequences whatsoever.
    The MX Next is one of the most innovative dinghy designs of the last 20 years and should be recognized as such, and it will be sooner or later, regardless what the Anonymous Denizens have decreed in their fake wisdom.

14. Vlad M

Vlad M Senior Member

I could care less about impressing this audience, and if people are not impressed by something impressive - that's their problem.

All I'm doing is trying new things nobody though of before and most people thought impossible - and usually making them work. It amazes me why some people on this forum are so against it?

15. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

Nobody's against that as such. It's just that if you claim to be building the fastest boat of its type (whatever type that is) then people will expect to see said boat saling faster than its competition.

If the new boat is faster, they'll be impressed. If it isn't, or if there isn't enough evidence to tell either way, then they wont be impressed. That's all. It's nothing personal.

So far, there doesn't seem to be enough evidence to tell either way, so all there is is speculation. You have to expect speculation on a discussion board, particularly in the absence of evidence that would quell it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.