Salmo 19 mod

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by DanielConti, May 5, 2015.

1. DanielConti

DanielConti Junior Member

Hello

I recently bought the plans for the Salmo 19 outrigger canoe and am looking forward to starting to build it in November.
    The boat conforms to all of my requirements bar one. I am concerned that it will not have enough collision or abrasion resistance along the underside. I want to be able to drag it up a beach every other day and not have to worry about wearing into the 6mm ply.
    The only thing I can think of is to add a keel like the picture shows (from the KIR 8a)

image.jpg

Just adding more fibreglass will improve abrasion resistance but not do as much to improve the collision resistance. Rightly or not I would be constantly worried about hitting a submerged rock and I want piece of mind.

Calculating the keels shape should be simple enough by looking at the offsets from the plans.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Waterwitch

Waterwitch Senior Member

It seems you would take out the dagger board or rudder on a rock first if
    sailing along. Some people carry inflatable fenders for use as rollers when beaching, and for floatation, besides for their use as fenders.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A sacrificial piece will help for abrasion. It is the typical solution for boats that get dragged up the beach. What do you mean by "calculating the keels shape". The drawing shows a batten.

4. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

just to keep u in the loop Gonzo, daniel has been in contact with the Salmo 19 designer about how to fit a sacrificial hardwood keel for abrasion resistance. The image in the thread is for the KIR-8 canoe which has a sacrificial hardwood keel. The Salmo 19 is stitch and glue and does not have this feature. My 2 cents worth to daniel was that the KIR-8 was a great boat, but really a too large, too heavy, too expensive for the solo sailer doing some coastal voyaging around the north island of NZ. Hence a 19ft boat, not a 23ft boat

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.