Munson Catamaran Hull Trailer-able Houseboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by JYDOG, Dec 20, 2017.

1. JYDOG

JYDOG Junior Member

Well this is what it looks like with the deck ripped off and some of the deck supports removed. Looks perfect for a trailer-able houseboat.

IMG_20180313_174910.jpg

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Why are you removing the gunwhales?

3. JYDOG

JYDOG Junior Member

I'm not, that was just the inner structure so the floor sits lower in the boat reducing the profile. It had 3/4 ply decking from each exterior surface.

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

It would have been good to weigh the boat first because you can add back less and pickup some capacity.

5. JYDOG

JYDOG Junior Member

The internet is great, all the specs are here. I can just weigh it after I get it stripped and compare it to 1800lbs . So my total should be under 1800+1730 lbs people motor fluids and all loaded.

boat specs.jpg

6. Dejay

Dejay Senior Newbie

Hey JDOG I followed your camper build on youtube with interest!
    I'm researching boat building at the moment as a newbie as well. For building the walls I think you should first decide if you want insulation or not.
    If not, I would look into "stitch and glue" with 4mm plywood (1/6") with some light epoxy and fiberglass and use a curved shape for stability. With 100g fiberglass and epoxy on both sides (1 oz) that should be something like 108kg (240lb?). Probably twice that with painting and seams and ribs for stability.
    If you do want to use insulation foam I'd try to use it as a supporting structural element like SIPs do. Maybe you could reduce the plywood size to 2mm, no clue where the limit are for impact resistance.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.