Multihull Wave Piercing Power Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Powerhouse, Apr 22, 2005.

1. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

imagine the fuel bill when the thing needs to be fed....

There are some successful wave-piercing designs out there, yes... mostly big. Wavepiercers are pure displacement designs and the length is needed to get any decent speed. I have only ever seen one monohull wavepiercer design, and it was 225 m (~750ft) long. The concept entails a very sharp entry with very low buoyancy in the first 10-20% of length. Almost all wavepiercers are cats or trimarans over 30' as the concept does not scale well below about 40'.

Powerhouse- If you want max trailerable beam (8'6") in an 18-footer, you're talking cat. A 2:1 length:beam ratio is too chubby for most monohull forms. What speed range are you looking at?

2. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

Define WIG...I've heard of it, but not really clear. Please elaborate...

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Wing In Ground-effect. When an aircraft is within about half its wingspan above a surface, the airflow over the wings changes. The proximity to the surface causes higher pressures under the wing, giving more lift. An aircraft designed to fly like this can cruise near the surface using very little power (relative to the same plane flying higher). The design usually entails very low-aspect-ratio wings, giving the plane the look of a stubby bat or manta-ray.

You often see geese and seagulls cruising like this in calm weather. It requires very little power to cruise, but to get high enough above the waves to cross oceans means you need a very large wingspan- at least twice the desired altitude, which is itself likely more than twice the average wave height.

Small WIG craft like the Flarecraft or Airfish are legally classified as boats (ie no pilot's licence) but the vehicles are much more like airplanes than boats and require a pilot's skills to fly in inclement conditions.

4. Peloyellow

Peloyellow New Member

Ground Effect Sailboat

Too weird....my name is also Cary and I have also been fantasizing about a Wing In Ground (WIG)Effect Sailboat design. I say "fantasize" because I am an amateur. I have come across only one intentional design that functions thusly(not yet built to my knowledge) and have seen the Sail Rocket take flight(unintentional accident).
    I have designed a WIG human powered vehicle and am very curious about what you have found about WIG Sailboats.
    Cheers,
    Cary

5. hamedhpt

hamedhpt HAmed

Hi
    2 years ago I ve designed a boat that i think it's suitable for you. Please contact me with this email address:Hamedhpt@gmail.com If you are interested I'll send the boat's plans for you

6. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Powerhouse - I think you need to do a little more research... there's nothing wave-piercing about a Hydrofield....

7. hamedhpt

hamedhpt HAmed

Hi.
    maybe it's a good chance to show the boat to other experts and then they can comment on it.
    I told that i designed the hull and it could be a unique design.but i've never claimed that the hull
    is hyrofield one.If you need more information i can send some data about the hull and I will be so happy
    if you tell me your comments about the hull. please contact to :hamedhpt@gmail.com

8. yipster

yipster designer

have you allready looked at anhysucat with hydrofields? ;)

9. Willallison

In his original post, Powerhouse (who seems to have vanished) said he wanted a wave-piercer that was based on the Hydrofield Jaguar. I simply pointed out that the hydrofield is not a wave-piercer by any stretch of the imagination.
    Yipster - the hydrofield doesn't feature hydrofoils - different kettle of fish.

Attached Files:

10. mark775

mark775 Guest

Like a Whaler, that looks like a boat that will flat beat the pulp out of you...

11. Willallison

I haven't been in one, but actually they have a rep for being very soft riding

1 person likes this.
  12. yipster

yipster designer

sorry for posting to quik guy's, took a hydrofield for foil and hysucat link was at the top of google, have to run to the dentist, will check later what a hydrofield is

13. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

So, does anybody want to take a shot at minimum dimensions for an effective offshore wave piercer?
    Seems the length must need to span the waves to prevent pitching.
    Some local canoes have a foil? placed atop the bows to prevent "pearl diving" when they catch a wave.
    Maybe something on this order would help a shorter design ?
    BTW the Gold Coast link was an awesome tidbit, but they leak out precious little detail concerning hull design.

14. yipster

yipster designer

okay, from the hip: all boats pierce waves

and as you say, even some canoes have anti dive plates
    the old chinese had a quik filling slow draining variable inertia rudder waterbun
    against diving and pitching, the variations and combinations are endles
    its more research and testing tho for exotic boats to ride soft

15. Willallison

Oh, that's easy.... "depends"

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.