Planing Catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by navarch_hish, Jun 17, 2006.

1. navarch_hish

navarch_hish Junior Member

I am naval Architecture student, i am designing a passenger catamaran. I neednt to know when to go for a planning hull for a catamaran, i mean whats the criteria i know its froud no, but whats the froude number beyond which we have to go for planning hull.

How do we design planning hull, i mean the deadrise angle, the chine angle etc.Are there charts for these??

Can anyone suggest me some of the important routes that catamaran ferries operates prefereby not ocean going.

Another doubt is , is it obligatory to go for wave piercing catamaran for ocean going catamaran??

I will be greatful if anyone could help me with this??

2. tamkvaitis

tamkvaitis sailor/amateur designer

catamaran hulls arte very narow, so froude rules practicaly don't work on these boats...

3. patto

patto New Member

theres plenty of cats that can plane, boats like hobie tigers look like they plane

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.