Multihull design literature

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by RThompson, Feb 10, 2015.

1. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

Hi All,

Can anyone make recommendations on literature regarding multihull design?

Ideally I'm interested in finding some book that is widely considered a 'bible' of multihull design. In particular I'm looking for published literature that discusses structural loads and design in way of the bows, including discussion on bridgedeck wave slamming. My interest is in power cats around 50-80 feet LOA.

I am looking for published work as it will be referenced (ie this is not part of a design project but rather some research).

edit - just to be clear I'm not necessarily looking for design calcs (eg rules etc), but rather general discussion of the topic.

Cheers and thanks for your help,
    Rob

PS: bonus points if its freely available online! :)

2. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Next issue of Journal of Small Craft Technology (RINA) will have my paper on power multihull design. Quite complete review of design factors and approaches, though no pretense to be a 'bible'.

3. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

Hi Alik,
    Thanks for your reply, your paper does sound like what I'm looking for. Unfortunately I cant wait for the publication... Any other suggestions - especially about bridge deck slamming..?

Cheers,
    Rob

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Hmmm...well, I'm writing a book on this very subject, but not out for a while yet either.

Otherwise, as Alik noted RINA and SNAME Journals shall assist.

5. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

Hi Ad Hoc,

"...but not out for a while yet.." - well not with that attitude! Anyway, its been 24 hours or so now, you done yet? ;)

Unfortunately I no longer have easy access to RINA or SNAME journals, I guess I'm kinda back at first principles of floaty things - all good fun :)

cheers,
    Rob

6. Alik

Alik Senior Member

This is almost same paper as was submitted to 2014 Windfarm Vessel Conference. You might be able to get the proceedings from RINA.

7. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

Rob
    What is your time frame?
    Like the others on here we have alot of information from our research days but unfortunately we are in the middle of moving workshop/design studio and hardrive with it on is in storage access to the information is about 2 to 4 weeks away if you have time.
    Craig and the Ezifold team
    Not sure if there is anything of interest here
    ,http://www.wumtia.soton.ac.uk/papers.html

Can anyone make recommendations on literature regarding multihull design?

Ideally I'm interested in finding some book that is widely considered a 'bible' of multihull design. In particular I'm looking for published literature that discusses structural loads and design in way of the bows, including discussion on bridgedeck wave slamming. My interest is in power cats around 50-80 feet LOA.

I am looking for published work as it will be referenced (ie this is not part of a design project but rather some research).

edit - just to be clear I'm not necessarily looking for design calcs (eg rules etc), but rather general discussion of the topic.

Cheers and thanks for your help,
    Rob

PS: bonus points if its freely available online! :)[/QUOTE]

1 person likes this.
  8. garydierking

garydierking Senior Member

There isn't really a good design manual for multihulls such as you'll find for monohulls. Chris White's The Cruising Miltihull has plenty of good ideas.
    Re: underwing slamming, If you can't row your dinghy under the wings, don't take it to sea.

Gary

9. rogerf

rogerf Junior Member

10. jamez

jamez Senior Member

11. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Pen Duick, Eric Tabarly, Adlard Coles
    Multihulls Offshore, Rob James, Nautical Books
    Multihulls for Cruising and Racing, Derek Harvey, Adlard Coles
    Multihull Seamanship, Michael McMullen, Nautical
    Racing and Cruising Trimarans, Robert B. Harris, Nautical Publishing
    Icarus, The Boat that Flies, James Grogono, Adlard Coles

12. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Powercats 50 to 80 feet was the OP's area of interest, with bridgedeck slamming in particular. Is anyone who is involved commercially, going to divulge specific ideas that give a design an "edge" over the competition, I doubt it, but maybe the general principles get a good airing.

13. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

I think there is some material in the US navy data base but I have no idea if a Kiwi can access it. Malcom Tennant's site might have some articles.

14. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

Well theres a bunch of leads to follow up on - Thanks for your help.

Mr Efficiency - yes it is just a general description of the principles I'm after.
    Anyway -thanks again evryone. Now I have some reading to do... :)

15. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

Newick wrote a course manual. Never saw it, got ripped off by those yacht course guys. But I have no reason to believe it didn't exist.

There is White.

Joseph Norwood wrote a book, but it is dense, does have some good stuff in there. He wrote a second book on rigs, but that is way out there.

Rudy Choy wrote a book

Harris wrote a book on Tris, and another on Cats.

On the small end, TF Jones read the Harris books, and taking on the mantle of Bolger, wrote some interesting stuff on tris under about 40 feet.

I had heard Wharram, or one of the brains of the operation, was doing a book, but a long time has since passed.

Really nobody has done it, and it is too bad because there is interest, and a fair bit of the interest has moved to the design side.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.