multi tank fuel system design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by naturewaterboy, Nov 22, 2008.

1. naturewaterboy

naturewaterboy Steel Drum Tuner

Where can I find good info on how to design and plumb a gasoline fuel system with about 4 or 5 tanks? I'm replacing my one 220 gal. aluminum tank with multiple plastic tanks.

I'm rebuilding the boat (34 Silverton Convertible), and switching from inboard power to outboards on a bracket. I may need to change the location of the tanks to shift the CG. I'd like to find some good design info on the best way to hook up multiple tanks.

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

I'm planning same thing with diesel powered motorsailor so there's certainly some similarities and dissimilitaries. I'm using one of the tanks as a "main tank", not so that it would be the biggest, quite the opposite, but all fuel lines to the engine would go from this tank. Other tanks will be "feeding" this main tank throw a separate pump/filter on demand (manually controlled).

3. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I like the kind of setup Teddy describes: a 'day tank' that the engine draws from, and you transfer fuel to it manually through a pump/filter from the big tanks.

With the addition of a return manifold, this setup could also be used for a fuel polishing system.

NWB, if I were setting up a system like that, I would want to put a conventional pickup in each tank, and run individual lines from all of them to a single manifold that has a valve for each. This manifold is connected to the fuel pump and filter, which output either directly to the day tank, to the engine lines, or to another manifold by which you can decide where to send the fuel.

Since a 34' Silverton will likely spend a lot of time going fast and chugging back the gas, and probably only has a few hundred miles of range, you might want to skip the day tank and draw directly from the mains.... but there's a lot of benefit to keeping it so that you can fill the tanks separately, and draw from them separately. After all, bad gas is one of the most common outboard killers.

5. naturewaterboy

Thanks, Rasorinc, for the link. That's some very good info. I'll have to go back thru it when I'm ready to layout my system.

I was thinking like you, Teddy, about using one tank as the main and have a single fuel transfer pump, and electrically operated valves to transfer fuel from each of the auxillary tanks. I may need to have 5 tanks, and I was hoping there was a simpler way to connect them all. Having to remember to transfer fuel from 4 tanks - and having to have 5 fuel gauges isn't my idea of a good design.

6. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Marsh,

The problem with your set up on a boat that chugs down the fuel is that because you are going to only fill up at one place you will either get all good or all bad gass. It is a good set up on a boat that has enough range that it will be carrying fuel from multiple stations, but otherwise it just increases the likelyhood of getting bad gass everywhere, and here is why.

If you have one large tank that is always being added to and taken from the sludge will tend to settle towards the bottom, and be relatively dillute compared to the total amount of fuel in the tank. As you go to smaller multiple tanks you are more likely to run one untill it is dry then switch to the next. What this does is ensure that the fuel pump will try and suck out the last bit of sludge from the tank before you swap over. But since you will be going through a small tank during a day run you are almost guaranteed to pull some skanky fuel. Of course when you switch over you get good fuel for a while untill the same thing happens again.

Now lets say you get back to the dock and top off the boat before you put it away. You top off the two tanks you burned, and the other two that wern't used continue to go bad (you know fuel has a shelf life right?).

Now the next time you run the boat you run off of the same two tanks you used before, and get the same sludge off of the bottom of the first that you got the first time, switch to the second and call it a day. Top off the boat, and leave it for a week or so till the next run.

By now you are starting to see where this goes... There are two tanks that really never get emptied, and the fuel continues to age, while at least one tank gets sucked almost dry every time. So when you go on a long run those tanks are topped off with skunkie fuel, and the day becomes a disaster instead of a fun ride.

Even by rotating the tanks properly you use you still wind up sucking down one tank and pulling up garbage every time you go out. And rotating has it's own problems in that you are not able to pull from the tank that allowes you too balance the best, but have to pull from the one with the oldest fuel.

This is actually an easier fix on diesels than gass engines since they have a fuel return line that allowes you to mix fuel or move it to a different tank as you run. This could be done with a gass engine but requires installing two way delivery pumps and manifolds.

My recomendation is to try and keep is simple. Try to use the fewest number of tanks you can, and try to keep the fuel delevery system that was original to the boat. If you have to change I would probably use a day tank that is fed from two holding tanks. This allowes you to only need a P/S manifold. which could be switched even while running.

7. naturewaterboy

I agree, keep it simple. I would like to put one or two tanks back in, but I want to put plastic tanks in, and they don't come large enough. I took out a 220 gallon tank, I'd like to have at least that much. Also, if I had 5 tanks, does that mean I need to have 5 fuel fill caps?

8. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Nature,

I think you just need to look for some larger plastic tanks. This sight http://www.incaproducts.com/site/products_fueltanks.aspx has plastic tanks over 200 gallons, and will custom design one if you want (though I imagine that would be expensive.)

And yes if you have 5 holding tanks you need 5 fuel caps.

9. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

10. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

You being in Florida so propably there's not a big chance to get bad fuel I think, so there's not so much benefit of the multiple tanks in this regard. Depending how far you take your tours theres annother advantage to consider. In case of a bad weather there's a lot benefit if you can adjust the VCG of your boat. Having (larger) tanks in both end of a boat gives a good chance to make the difference when it's really choppy..
    Of course I meant LCG not VCG..

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  11. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I agree with what you say in post #6, Stumble, if the boat is going to be sucking back the fuel quickly and have a relatively limited range.

I got the impression from the first post that NWB already had a number of small plastic tanks and was wondering how to hook them up. You can always draw from several tanks simultaneously if you feel the need to draw them down at the same rate, effectively serving as a single big tank. But yes, it would be simpler to install just a couple of big tanks.

12. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

While there is nothing wrong with following the standards of the USCG regs, they specifically do not apply to boats powered by outboards. They are intended for inboards where fuel tanks and engines often occupy the same spaces or may be vented commonly.

In outboard boats you are mainly left on your own except for tank materials as to whether the tank is enclosed or vented overboard. The red plastic tanks are good only for exposed locations and the other colors, mainly gray, are for enclosed locations. Not certain about colors other than gray.

13. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Tom is partly correct. The USCG rules for fuel systems are not required for outboard powered boats, But, the ABYC Standards for gasoline fuel systems incorporate the USCG regs and apply to both inboard and outboard powered boats. I you get a survey for insurance or sales purposes ( A condition and value survey) the surveyor is going to use ABYC standards. So follow then USCG rules anyway.

The INCA link is a good one and they do make larger tanks.

Here are some more
    Kracor Inc - Rotational Molders of Marine Tanks http://www.kracor.com/pages/marinecatalog.html
    Moeller Marine Products http://www.moellermp.com/
    Marine Fuel, Holding,Water Tanks by Custom Marine Tanks http://www.custommarinefueltanks.com/

14. El Sea

El Sea Junior Member

NWB,

Being in Florida, you are subjected to ethanol. This fuel is problematic as you may very well know. The choice of multiple tanks pose no advantage if you consume a large amount of fuel per hour. If you take on bad fuel you can only hope your filtration cleans it up. Stored fuel if not treated will start going bad within two months.

I clean fuel tanks and the findings today are very alarming. We clean tanks for the Department of Interior, The US Coast Guard and a number of individual tanks. The issues we see is what lies waiting on the bottom of your tank. A fuel polishing system is good but is no gaurantee. The new fuels have been stripped of the lubrication needed for the fuel systems that operate at high pressure and a fuel polishing system removes even more of the lubrication.

If I was to design a fuel storage system I would:

A) have a low point sump where the water could be drained off
    B) a deck fill that was not flush with the deck, but elevated to minimize water intrusion
    C) a vent located a minimum of 12 inches above the deck, not below the gunnel or rub rail

These recomendation would be for a basic gas or diesel system. However diesel would require return and additional custom details would take place.

El Sea,
    "What's in your tank?"

15. naturewaterboy

Thanks for the links! I looked at Moeller before - but I didn't look at the OEM tanks - they do have a 157 gallon tank in their OEM list - looks like it has baffles molded in. The Inca Products tanks that I looked at (99 to 182 gal) do not show any baffles. Aren't baffles really needed in a 100+ gallon marine fuel tank?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.