boat electronics

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Mihajlo, May 7, 2007.

1. Mihajlo

Mihajlo Junior Member

My company is starting a manufactury of a 50´ sailing yacht. Everything is still in phase of waiting for first sketches from our designers. I am in charge of almost everything and according to fact that boatbuilding is not really my domain I need some help. I managed to understand most of the things concerning boatbuilding but I have some problems with electronics and I would appreciate if someone can tell where can I read something more about boat electronics. Thank you in advance

2. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I'm not likely to be the one able to help you, but what do you mean when you say you want to know about "boat electronics"? Is it the wiring you wan't to know about, how to use a plotter, how to use, say, B&G multidisplays, how to install mast sensors, what is most needed, or perhaps something completely different, such as which brands are "best", which has a good reputation, how long do they last?

3. Mihajlo

Mihajlo Junior Member

I need to know everything concerning to boat electrics and electronics, from generators to lights. I am looking for some articles or anything on the internet so that I could read and get to know something more about whole electric system on boat

4. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

there are quite a few books on the subject, then. Some random internet articles simply aren't good enough, if you're going to sell the boat to someone in my opinion.
    Perhaps you can go here:

http://www.paracay.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ELC

The thing is, it's a very wide subject, when you want to know "everything" - for instance: How an SSB antennae, VHF, Radar and so forth influence eachother, and how they work on their own, is a mighty big subject in itself. Generators another one. Not to mention the law/rules concerning electrical installations, colregs (navigation lights) and so forth.

Regarding the link above. It's a bit slow, but there are numerous books, but many of them you can go check on amazon to read a bit inside them.

5. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Here's an idea, and I'm serious about this: After you have got the gist of some of it, I really think you should pay someone instead of trying to do it yourself. Hire an electrician with a good reputation in the boating industry, because you will never be able to oversee the entire project while at the same time design the elctrical system in that boat. Pay for the design. Much easier, and in the end cheaper, methinks.

6. Mihajlo

Mihajlo Junior Member

We will do that but in the meanwhile I would like to learn something about boat electronics myself. About a year ago I did not know anything about boats and today I can say that I know a lot of things concerning to boat building. This is merely one next thing that I need to learn. This is the first boat that we are building and we definitely will need some help because we are not experts but I am trying to learn as much as I can before the building itself starts

7. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Goody.

But the books are a good way of being able to oversee things. Most of those books aren't that thick. Quick reads.

8. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Learning while Doing...

Mihajlo, it's a good objective to learn as much as you can as fast as you can....

But you need to learn a lot, AND put it in perspective.

Look at the Table of Contents at:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/wiki/Electrical_systems
    ...and that's not covering 'Marine Electronics'...

Look at the Table of Contents at:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/wiki/Onboard_Computers
    ...and that's just looking (incompletely) at Computer-Based systems..

BTW: We NEED a good Wiki section on "Marine Electronics"!!! Guys????

But those will start to give you a perspective...

You need a couple of good Marine Electronics books to start..

If I were you I would get access to a good boat similar to what you're working on, and get to understand the entire electrical system, and then the individual electronics packages for Navigation, Monitoring, Communications, Electrical Controls, etc.

Then you need to talk with and sail with someone who is really experienced with your class of boat, and see how all these things are utilized from startup to voyaging to return to shutdown.

You could do this if you really immerse yourself in it (so to speak :) )

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.