muffler....less?

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by pasty63, Jan 20, 2010.

1. pasty63

pasty63 Junior Member

I'm in the process of (slowly) getting my 1986 Bayliner 3270 back together after replacing stringers and such. The engine "room" on these boats is pretty crowded, and I'm thinking I'd like to set the Hino 110's up to run without mufflers. The fiberglass mufflers take up roughly the same room as a 5 gal. bucket placed inline in the exhaust hose. Given there are risers, and flaps on the exhaust outlets, what are the risks of running the boat without mufflers?

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi Pasty63,

I doubt you'll be putting the engines at risk by leaving the mufflers out. But leaving them out will certainly make the boat louder, possibly much louder. The main risk will be in drowning out conversations among your passengers and pissing off other boaters.

3. pasty63

pasty63 Junior Member

muffler...less

Good point Matt. I guess I'll give them a try without mufflers in the yard to see if they are truly abnoxious. If so - I'll put them on and work around the bulge.