Mudboat

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by MarshGator, Oct 17, 2006.

1. MarshGator

MarshGator Junior Member

I plan to build a mudboat after the first of the year. I am currently looking for information on building a Louisiana Mudboat. This is a small boat 14’ to 18’ with an inboard setup. Looking for any help/information, hull design, and engine/hardware setup.

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

can you tell me what are mudboats for ,,,,never seen one,,thanks longliner

3. MarshGator

MarshGator Junior Member

Mudboats

Mudboats are primarily used for gaining access to areas with little water (3” or less and mostly mud), and areas with thick aquatic vegetation. The marsh mud here in South East Louisiana is mostly a couple of feet of decomposed organic matter (sort of like wet coffee grounds). The first boats were made of wood with inboard engines. Most now are made of wood and fiberglassed or all aluminum. The engine depending on boat size can be from a 5 or 10 h.p. direct drive, air cooled up to a Chevy V8, keel cooled, with velvet drive or any combination between. Take a look at these links.

http://www.louisianafolklife.org/FOLKLIFEimagebase/FLImagesListing.asp?Page=482
    http://www.aa5au.com/duck_stuckinthemud2003_2.html
    http://www.teampersuasion.com/mud-boats.htm

4. MarshGator

MarshGator Junior Member

5. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

mud boat

do you guys use these for red fish?,,,,,,,,,and gators?

6. MarshGator

MarshGator Junior Member

Yes. they can be used for almost anything you need to do in the marsh. They were first used by trappers and people who worked and lived out in the marsh. They are mostly used for duck hunting these days. Most duck leases will not allow airboats. Some people will build/buy a small version (~12 foot) and put a pop-up blind and hunt out of it.

7. Lowater

Lowater New Member

awsome site. man that would be the ticket.

8. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Great fun in the mud and shallows.If you fit a trimmable shaft drive as shown you can go more places as the drive follows the bottom if shallow or it can be lifted level with the keel.No where it can not go_Other pics in my photo album.

Attached Files:

9. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Diagram for drive for improved mudboat application.

Attached Files:

10. MarshGator

MarshGator Junior Member

Tom,

Can you e-mail me the diagram? I am having trouble seeing the entire thumbnail. Also, any additional details would be helpful.

Thanks

11. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I can e-mail to you my original Patent Application diagram and text of three pages plus diagram and other information and pictures as required.I would find it easier if you e-mail me direct to contact at www.arthurkane2002@webnet.co.nz

12. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

The flat bottom mud boat at my place used the long tail out board -like Thai long tail.This kind of propeller will enable you to power the boat even in the soft mud without water, wet hard mud -need long pole to push the boat forward.A long pole is necessary incase you need to push the boat. Paddle doesnt work in mud.I used to run my boat over submerge timber tree- 1 feet out above water,push the bow across the blockage, blow the throttle to push the boat through,lift the propeller out from the water and slide to the other side of the log.With inboard engine this is not possible.

13. bilgeboy

bilgeboy Senior Member

This thread is a refreshing treat. Love the links. Felt like I was there. I feel I got me some culture, and had a bit of learnin'.

Ce n'est pas?

Merci,

Mike

14. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

I have had computer troubles,now all sorted I hope I will try to get up-dated with what has been going on.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.