MSc naval arch in UK

Discussion in 'Education' started by Rohit Deraj, Jan 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Rohit Deraj

Rohit Deraj New Member

I am a final year undergrad (NA&OE) from IIT-M.

I have already applied to KTH, NTNU, UMich and MIT. Will be applying to TU Delft, Texas A&M joint N5T etc.

I didn't apply to any UK unis till now. That's because none of my seniors ever advised me to go for it. I guess its because of the job opportunities. Want to know how are the job opportunities in ship building industries in UK for Internationals after graduation ? Can someone from Southampton/Newcastle/Strathclyde/UCL comment on it?

2. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Welcome to the forum Rohit,

It matters little, in terms of employment, where you do your MSc.
    Your objective should be to do an MSc in the subject and field of your choosing.....jobs, employment are secondary in that sense.

Because employers will not say... aaah... he only went to MIT but should have gone to Soton, or similar.

Jobs, are world wide and it matters little where you studied, in that sense, so long as the Uni, is a good and respected Uni.

I went to Soton, and there are many jobs available in the SE Coast of the UK.
    But they are all ostensibly in the small boat field, not big tanker types...

Study what you desire and gives you the most interest, not the location of "possible/sudden" employment.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  3. Dr34m3r

Dr34m3r Senior Member

Ad Hoc, I have to disagree as being Asian and studied in EU.

Unless your country have strong diplomatic ties which may allow to have easy work permit, it is better to go in a country which there is more similar interested companies are. In EU, Netherlands being the busy maritime hub and easy for foreigners to find work after graduation. One more thing is, in EU the country from which you will be graduated provide advantage to find work compare to neighboring country. so it is good to know beforehand what kind of work you will like to do and how many companies are there doing the similar work.

I have studied NTNU, TUDElft and Aalto university, Job wise Netherlands , Norway, Germany will be preferable for foreigners ( non-EU).

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

You are conflating... permission to work, with... which university gives me the studies that suit my passion and areas of interest.
    These are 2 very different issues.

It does indeed.
    But if you're reason for choosing a Uni is based upon - can I get work in the same location after graduation - then you most likely wont be studying what drives you....

In other words, naval architecture will just be a "job"...it wont be a "passion", as it is for most of us that work in this industry.
    So you must ask yourself, in 10years time on a cold dark stormy winters morning, when it is -10c outside, will you be thinking when your alarm clock goes off:

i) ugh... i have to get up and get ready for work in the office to crunch some numbers, but hey, it is good solid work, it pays my bills
    or
    ii) can't wait to get into the shipyard to learn new exciting yard related issues along with continuing to explore a new concept or design after doing some exciting tank testing of boats that have been of interest all my life.

It is your choice...

5. Dr34m3r

Dr34m3r Senior Member

Thanks for enlighten furthermore.

One should be ready for both point (i) and (ii) as life in practical not fair for all and always. Career development happens during the whole life , but starting after graduation is easy for foreigner where there is already acceptance and number of companies present. It is better not to put oneself in narrow band of choice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.