Catia and design

Discussion in 'Software' started by Artur, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Artur

Artur New Member

Hey all. Has anyone used Catia to design yachts?How was the experience?

Thanks.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

probably expensive...very, very expensive.

3. Doug Carlson

Doug Carlson Senior Member

Artur,

For about 8 years, I have been using Pro/E ( I believe it is approximately, functionally equivalent to Catia) for design and manufacturing in the areas of aerospace and electronics mechanical components. I have also used it extensively for tooling and product design.

Recently I've been experimenting with it for boat design (hobby). My impression is that from a mechanical design and surfacing standpoint all of the necessary capabilities are available. Pro/E has a ship building module the cost of which I could not justify for my interests. Without that module no performance analysis is readily available. I'm sure that using the programming capabilities, one could develope analysis capabilities.

I would never recommend Pro/E as a dedicated boat/yacht design software because the overhead, both financial and learning curve, are too high, and there are a large number of significantly less expensive and more tailored softwares available.

On the other hand, because I've already made the investments for other reasons, I intend to continue experimenting.

Doug

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.