Mounting to gunwale

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by elmwood, Feb 24, 2013.

1. elmwood

elmwood Junior Member

Hello, I've been here often reading what all everyone has to say and thought this would be a good place to ask this question. I am going to be making a radar arch for my boat and the arch would attach to the gunwale. I am wondering if this would be a good idea what I'm showing in the attached drawing. I would place the metal inside of the arch with fiberglass under it and on top of the gunwale. Would it be better if I were to extend the sides and ends of the metal further up the arch? I understand putting metal into fiberglass isn't that great of an idea because of expansion differences but a smaller piece shouldn't cause that much of a problem, should it? What about the underside of the gunwale. Should I use the metal plate there? I can make the base of the arch taper from 2" wide down to 3" since the gunwale gets wider further back. You can see where the mounting area is in the boat pic.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
    Eric

Attached Files:

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.