a quick introduction

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hood, Oct 5, 2005.

1. hood

hood New Member

Hi all,

I finally did it, bought my first boat of my own.
    I've been a sailor all my life, as my father was a sailor before me, and I was brought up on boats. My father started me off on a small MacGregor catamaran and built up to sailing on a 26 MacGregor, and a 28 Hunter. Both great boats.

Now that I've saved up enough cash of my own, I bought a 15 foot Pearson "Olympic Finn". seems like a great little racing finn, and a great winter project as it needs some work.. some gelcoat patchwork and paint mostly. It unfortunately came without a centerboard, so I started searching the net for designs and found this place. The forums here seem like a good place for me to look for advice for my building endeavours :)

So, thank you for having me, and please excuse any seemingly dumb questions from me, as I'm really new to boat design. :eek:

2. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Nice to meet you hood. What do you mean a "little" Finn, isn't that pretty big for a single-handed dinghy?

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

I'll second Skippy's welcome, hood. This is the only forum you'll need. You'll find among its members a wealth of information - and some of it quite workable....:D

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Welcome to the asylum. This may curtai your social and economic advancement. However, the addiction to boats can be very fulfillling too. At times when you are tired, wet and cold you may ask yourself what is you're doing. Somehow we all return to the sea. This is a vocation of romance and dreams not logic.

5. hood

hood New Member

Thanks, This place looks like it'll be a really helpful place to be. besides the help, I like all the pics that are posted in the gallery sections :D Some really cool stuff there

6. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

What was it that Finn-sailors say about vang and certain death?

Y.

7. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Hood, Welcome to the ball, and have a good one to, don't worry too much about asking daft questions - we all got to start somewhere! Just remember as the man said this boating thing is a disease, so best enjoy it while you can! 'tis the best damn disease that I've ever had and some (all) of the guys are pretty good too - might take the pee a little but if you what something serious answering we'll give it our all and between us we'll get you the right answer (as I said we'll take the pee in the process but what the hell, the world needs cheering up a little! ;))

8. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Not familiar with the olympic finn, however most production boats, especially small ones generally have web sites to buy replacement parts, such as rudders centerboards etc. Welcome aboard.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.