Mould Wax Removal

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by marshmat, Jan 21, 2007.

1. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

In the interests of saving a whole lot of scraping.....

I have a fibreglass mould that needs to be cleaned up. It was just pulled from the plug, and a lot of the paraffin-based release wax that was used on the plug decided to stay on the mould. Since the mould is for autoclave use at 130 Celsius, and still needs fine sanding, the paraffin's gotta go.

The surface coat is an Adtech aluminum-thickened epoxy, virtually inert in almost all solvents. I'm looking for something that can help to get rid of
    the paraffin-based wax. Preferably not as brutally toxic as the xylene that's already been suggested, and rejected, by my team.

So what solvents work for removing release wax?

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Most of the mold release companies have strippers just for this purpose, check with them.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I've checked, yes.... trouble is that then we'd have to be shipping in stuff from the US, and clearing toxic chemicals through Customs is a real pain.... far too much trouble and time when we only need a few litres.
    I'm holding out hope that someone will suggest a solvent that I can get locally; xylene has been suggested and I can get it, but it's insanely toxic. Any other solvents that work?

4. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

have u tried to use wax, sometimes if you rub a good layer of the same wax on the mould it will soften up the old dried wax and come off with a buff might take a few goes, also TR makes a wax remover as far as i know compasites canada sells it www.compositescanada.com ask for mark there in missisauga and will ship