motorsailers vs large tides

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by 7/32, Jan 2, 2010.

1. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Aluminium, lifing keel to take the hard etc... = Ovni.

Take a look at yachtworld.com and do a search on Ovni, after that its a matter of $$$.

2. mikeharwood

mikeharwood Junior Member

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

it's like the first lee-side fin would get a bite and the one further to windward could hold that track.

The windward keel is lifted as the boat heels,so is less efficient to weather.

The real claim to fame of many bilge keelers is downwind tracking, and ease of steering.

On a MS this , and beachability is worth far more than pointing 3deg higher in light airs to windward.

FF

4. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

I agree...being able to stay upright in shallows is very appealing...so is downwind tracking ..probably one of the single best features a boat can have with waves with coming astern...these boats have never gotten a fair shake here in the states IMHO...I want one...but I have too much invested already in my own swing keel boat and no spare cash to look for one here in the states..there are a few around...I am gonna have to try and live with what I have for now...

5. Marco1

Marco1 Senior Member

6. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

Nice boat. IMHO Michael kasten is one of the best designers currently working...if I was going to build from plans...I'd definitely give many of his designs due diligence..

7. Milan

Milan Senior Member

Attached Files:

8. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"so is downwind tracking ..probably one of the single best features a boat can have with waves with coming astern..."

For a boat that is not that great downwind , the ARIES wind vane downwind is better than most under Olympic grade helmsman.

FF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.